The Cow Is Out of the Self Sufficient Bag

Nifty,

My chickens dig and scatter our rabbit and horse manure. Red worms are found underneath the manure. We use to have large piles of rabbit manure before chickens but know the area underneath the cages are clean.

jackie

I found a secret to getting the chickens to spread the manure. I feed a small amount of whole oats to the horses and cows. Not much mind you, for fear of the horses tempermental bellies, but about a handful a day in their feed. The whole oats are not easily digestable (especially in horses) and they tend to pass whole. The chickens then tear the manure apart digging out the oats. It's a perfectly complimentary arrangement.

Quote:
Great idea! If only I owned the horses to which the manure came.
big_smile.png
Maybe I need to toss out some scratch to get them started.
wink.png

Quote:
Any secrets to getting chickens to spread out manure? If there aren't any bugs in a big pile of the stuff will they still scratch it up?

They will scratch it as soon as it comes out of the cow.

I have 2 lambs in my backyard right now (very temporary - I hope
roll.png
). Did a good job of eating weeds without getting carried away like a goat would. Now they are sort of corralled and we bring them the elm tree limbs. I am slowly trimming them as they eat them. But I don't know much about them except that I like lambchops, which by the way is what I named one of them. We have 4 more at a friend's house so if anyone near northern Arizona needs some sheep (or wool), we have 3 adult females and 3 young males for sale.

Back
Top Bottom