The coyotes swarmed

adoptedbyachicken

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
British Columbia, Canada
Well as some of you know I lost my older Maremma LGD early in the spring. He got into a turf dispute with a bear sow that had twin cubs and I backed him up in running her off the property line a few times but he took her on one day I was at work and I never saw him again. It's only a guess really but some of the tracks lead me to belive that's what happened. Anyway I had his help raising a Maremma pup (my avatar) until she was almost 5 months but sadly she now has to figure the real work out herself. I have been looking for another adult but not finding one. We have had coyote losses starting about a month after Scarchi was gone and have shot a couple. That seems to stop the losses for the time. The pup has had to be confined as she would wander without the big guy to socialize with, and had also played too hard with a chicken, not meaning to kill it but accomplished it none the less. I have been doing drag training with her in the days while I'm home and on leash or off leash work while I'm outside. It's been fine, working great, she is learning, growing and the chickens have been safe for months.

Last night the tide turned however, the noise from coyotes was way too close and I went out of the house to see them surrounding the pup (now 10 months) where she was tied outside the barn. This is the first night I had closed the barn up tight as I have a batch of meat bird chicks just new and it was clear and cold with a stiff breeze. I snuck out with a rifle to try and get behind the dog for a safe shot but of course coyotes are too quick for that, but I did see them leave, and know the trail they used, it's a deer trail just off our side gate. I let them go without firing a shot so they might feel comfortable coming back. There was at least 3 of them, and one trapper of the area thinks that is the way we lost the big dog, that a bear would not bother, but as I said I saw new tracks so I'm not so sure.

So I'm going to spend some serious time today getting the leg hold traps set up on that trail and the side property line. I had gotten ready for this season by ordering in new lures and more traps. Season is not open for a few more days on public lands but here we can trap problem critters on our own private land anytime, so it starts today. We have a overpopulation of hungry mangy coyotes here this year and last. The big hayfields in the valley had been unmanged for years and rodents abound so the coyotes had been up in numbers but had lots to eat. Then that land changed hands and got good management including gopher population control so now we have hungry coyotes.

And as much as she hates it I think the dog has to get kept in the barn till I'm thinking she will be safe. At 10 months and on a tie she is sitting bait.

Wish me luck, I really need to get this under control.

Holy Sheepdip, April!
It's very likely that Scarchi was taken out by a pack of coyotes...that's how they take down the big prey.
I think I would've been scared spitless...and the puppy too...
At least you know how they're coming and I'd start trapping on that trail...
Good luck...

You might think about Great Pyr Mtn dogs. Plenty of groups about with rescues for pets and working dogs. I belong to one such group in Florida and we always have plenty of both for adoption @ $250 a pop. Try this link: http://www.nfgpc.org/

Honestly I have my name out for any kind of adult LGD and there has been none come up in this area. I like the Anatolian Shepherds looks and reputation but they are just not common here.

GPs in this area have skin issues with the summer heat. We can see 38 degrees for weeks, and they get hot spots and scratches. Even those folks that have the time to brush them out still end up with miserable dogs that hide under the back porch to scratch all day. It just can't be fun for the dog. I saw one clipped once and I about fell out of my truck laughing, but the owner said it helped him. He was all done except for the paws and the head, and I admit he looked comfortable, but oh man, they just don't suit the poodle doo.

So I spent the morning setting leg hold traps with lure that is a combination of wolf and coyote gland scent and some with a stuff called super coyote attractor. Off to the feed store right now for a few things then I will be setting up a spot in the barn for the pup at night, and a new place for the daytime too I think, get her out of those trees. I put her there in the summer but it's been just raining lately so she can be closer to the house.

Thanks for all the thoughts and well wishes. Onward with the battle I guess. First day of hunting season too, gotta get some friends out that are really good at calling. I thought it was the 10th but looked again and it's today!

Yotes are in season pretty much all year here, so I can kill em when I see em. Good luck getting them. Hope it didn't scare her too much, cause it can ruin a dog. Yoe fur coat and matching hat is what you need for those cold months comming!

Michelle

Back
Top Bottom