The disgruntled chickens and the annoyed owner.....

New2Chicks97

Songster
Jul 3, 2018
Washington State
So my day began with me chasing down several of my girls that have decided that they NEED to lay their eggs on the neighbors 10 acres because NOWHERE on our own 10 acres will suffice. I stealthily followed them to where they went and took 2 back home to the coop and returned to get the other two. Caught our Golden Sexlink (BBQ) and was in the process of carrying one ticked off girl back to the coop when she gave me the dirtiest look and plop out came an egg right onto the ground. Good thing she has hard shells. She continued to glare at me like all of this was my fault until I let her go.

I returned to the coop to check on the other two and I noticed one had a bunch of poo on her feathers so I decide to wash it off. She was NOT happy with my spa skills and tried her best to shred me with her feet until she realized the effort was futile. Of course the other girl escaped when I got Grey the Favacuana out for her spa treatment. At this point, I gave up and just let them lay in the weeds and collected them.

So far it is chickens 1........me 0.
Tomorrow, I shall prevail!

Sounds hilarious! The good thing is you are not bored. The bad thing is your chickens are too free! What time did that hen lay in your arms? I'd lock them in the coop until 1 or 2 pm. I'd let them out when the laying was finished for the day! I'd give you a dirty look too if I had an egg ready to pop out and was interrupted! Thanks for the laugh!
:lau

Sounds hilarious! The good thing is you are not bored. The bad thing is your chickens are too free! What time did that hen lay in your arms? I'd lock them in the coop until 1 or 2 pm. I'd let them out when the laying was finished for the day! I'd give you a dirty look too if I had an egg ready to pop out and was interrupted! Thanks for the laugh!
:lau
Oh, I want to keep them locked up until they lay but the little run attached to our coop is so small and the weather has been so HOT (90+ degrees) lately that I feel like leaving them in there is not healthy for them. I was around 9:30 to 10 this morning when they all made a dash for the bushes. Of course, crawling around in the weeds looking like a crazy woman is probably not safe for me as I am sure there are snakes in there somewhere.

So tonight we are putting up a larger run and putting some outdoor nesting boxes in and some more shade cloth. If they behave and lay where I need them to, I will do a little plant shopping for their new domain so it feels like a sanctuary and not a prison. Ok well I will do plant shopping anyway because I spoil them but they don't need to know that. ;)

Back
Top Bottom