1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The Diva Photo Shoot!!!! My Chicken Children.......

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by ChickenWifey, Mar 27, 2012.

1. ChickenWifey

ChickenWifey Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2012
    Statesville, NC
    What is it that makes them look like Roos? I'm trying to learn :) We were only gonna keep 6 to begin with but it seems like we got a little ripped off. How can they be THAT wrong?

2. Well the combs are VERY red for 3 week olds, hens usually have orange combs, at least for a long time

when they get old you will start to see sickle feathers (curly green pretty feathers) and pointed saddle feathers

3. ChickenWifey

Mar 26, 2012
    Statesville, NC
    Forgive my newbie ness. Green feathers? Where are saddle feathers? Thank u so much for helping me with this

4. lol, hold your horses im uploading pictures :)
    its alright, I always had a knack for knowing things before i knew them myself! so sorry if i assume you know something and you dont

5. ChickenWifey

Mar 26, 2012
    Statesville, NC

Thank u for your " two cents " ;)

I can definatley see 15 being a roo.

I will definatley load everyone up with more cuteness as the next few weeks pass. I love taking pics!

6. Okay wellt he SD card aint working, sorry, but i did get some pics

[​IMG]
    so those curly feathers are sickle feathers, in the light they usually shine green
    they also have the hen feathers, the straight ones, but the sickle feathers usually cover them up
    [​IMG]
    well this is a drawing but its an Ohiki, they have long sickle feathers and those white feathers that start off red are saddle feathers, Ohiki's are a long tail, when they are breed so they're tails and saddle feathers are longer, so wyandottes wont be this long but they will be obvious
    also the feathers around his neck, hackle feathers, only roosters have ones that are pointed, also on hens they're saddle feathers will be pointed
    [​IMG]this is a Wyandotte rooster, so you can get an idea

7. any more questions? im very willing to answer even the stupidest of questions LOL

8. ChickenWifey

Mar 26, 2012
    Statesville, NC
    # 7 is my favorite, she/ he loves the camera and always follows the lens, that one has a great personality.

Once we pick out the 6 we are keeping, would you all help me name them? I'm so bad naming my pets. I could use some good ideas. I do wanna name one nugget though. I think that would be cute :)

I have 3 cats. I let the kids name them. They are Stormy, Milkshake, and Bacon, lol.

9. yeah we have some 8 week old cochins, 2 cockerals and 2 hens and a brahma hen, I would show you my cochin Splash, whose saddle feathers are VERY rounded like a hens should be, and our cockeral Danny who has red comb also Wlf who has red comb and wattles, our hen Oleo whose saddle feathers arent really rounded but she IS a hen

10. LOL

well i have a hen named Oleo cause shes butter color, a buff orpington named Nugget (lol) but shes also called Opal, a hen named Coco Puff and a rooster named Gryphon
    Gryphon is a golden duckwing OEGB mix, who has good saddle feathers and hackle feathers and sickle feathers, wish I could show you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by