The Dorking Breeders thread

Thanks "peeps"! I live in a very small town, so the only nearby suppl stores that aren't outrageous is the ACE Hardware & TSC in the next town over and a Lowe's in the next town over on the opposite side of us. There's one in town, but it's owned by a local & unfortunately, costs more than it would to drive to another town & buy from a corporate store. ACE by far, has been the cheapest with fencing wire, and they'll cut it to any length you want, rather than make you buy the whole roll. I think I'll take a ride down there this evening to get enough to cover the door & roost area. The only thing I'd be hesitant about is using a sheet to cover the gap. I don't have any extras, so I'd have to go buy one (I could totally get one on the cheap from GoodWill next to ACE), but I'd be worried with the type of summer weather we have here, it'd be growing mold in no time. Have you used a sheet outdoors where your at & it last a while? Here, I can't even leave my little one's plastic toys out on our porch when it's humid, bc they begin growing black mold on them. We have moderate rain during spring & summer here. Regardless, I'll make it better than it is & show ya'll once the weekends over :)
Much to my neighbor's dismay, yes, I have used sheets on my chicken coops, and they do great. I haven't used them for this purpose, but one year we had terrible wind and snow at the same time (which almost never happens in Seattle, so I wasn't set up for it), and the snow was blowing across the pen to the point that it was filling up the feeder. We were snowbound and I didn't have enough plastic sheeting to cover the welded wire sides of the run, so in desperation I tied sheets to the sides of the pen. Wow, it was the perfect solution to lots of things. Not only did it accomplish the goal of controlling snowdrifts, but the temp in the run increased by at least 10 degrees, and the drafts went down to almost nothing. But because the sheets let some air pass, the ventilation was still excellent. In short, I accidentally created a giant tent with a solid ceiling and thin cloth walls. The birds, who had been huddled up in the house, came out into the run and enjoyed their day, and I was able to throw a flake of alfalfa hay in for them to tear apart. I left the sheets on all winter (my poor neighbors), and it kept the rain drifts under control so not only did their house stay dry, but their entire run stayed dry. So after a long day of free ranging in a rainstorm and getting soaked to the bone, they could come into a dry place and run around and flap to help dry off, instead of huddling up in their house soaking wet.

Since that time I've searched the second hand stores and obtained sheets that are better colors, so it doesn't look so tacky. Because they dry out regularly and sun bake, they don't tend to get very moldy in this climate. At the end of the season I take them down and wash them, using double detergent, double bleach, and one cup baking soda in the washing machine, and that gets rid of any mold that may have grown in the folds that don't dry out well between rains. Since that time I've tried to find something else that does the same things just as well (because my husband is a little embarrassed about how it looks), but there's just nothing else that works as well.

You should be able to find a flat sheet for $2-4 at Goodwill. Be sure to measure how big you need it, then add a foot in each direction to tie it down, if possible. If it doesn't work perfect you can always use it for other things. But if you secure it properly, that will protect against hawks until you can afford better pen security.

Last edited:
Much to my neighbor's dismay, yes, I have used sheets on my chicken coops, and they do great. I haven't used them for this purpose, but one year we had terrible wind and snow at the same time (which almost never happens in Seattle, so I wasn't set up for it), and the snow was blowing across the pen to the point that it was filling up the feeder. We were snowbound and I didn't have enough plastic sheeting to cover the welded wire sides of the run, so in desperation I tied sheets to the sides of the pen. Wow, it was the perfect solution to lots of things. Not only did it accomplish the goal of controlling snowdrifts, but the temp in the run increased by at least 10 degrees, and the drafts went down to almost nothing. But because the sheets let some air pass, the ventilation was still excellent. In short, I accidentally created a giant tent with a solid ceiling and thin cloth walls. The birds, who had been huddled up in the house, came out into the run and enjoyed their day, and I was able to throw a flake of alfalfa hay in for them to tear apart. I left the sheets on all winter (my poor neighbors), and it kept the rain drifts under control so not only did their house stay dry, but their entire run stayed dry. So after a long day of free ranging in a rainstorm and getting soaked to the bone, they could come into a dry place and run around and flap to help dry off, instead of huddling up in their house soaking wet.

Since that time I've searched the second hand stores and obtained sheets that are better colors, so it doesn't look so tacky. Because they dry out regularly and sun bake, they don't tend to get very moldy in this climate. At the end of the season I take them down and wash them, using double detergent, double bleach, and one cup baking soda in the washing machine, and that gets rid of any mold that may have grown in the folds that don't dry out well between rains. Since that time I've tried to find something else that does the same things just as well (because my husband is a little embarrassed about how it looks), but there's just nothing else that works as well.

You should be able to find a flat sheet for $2-4 at Goodwill. Be sure to measure how big you need it, then add a foot in each direction to tie it down, if possible. If it doesn't work perfect you can always use it for other things. But if you secure it properly, that will protect against hawks until you can afford better pen security.

Ha, I must try that. I sold my land a couple of years ago and just kept 2/3 ac and the buyer put a beautiful home on it less than 200 yds. Now he had acquired 50 acres across the road and is selling 10 plots for a beautiful 5 ac ea subdivision of quality homes. One fellow down the road just bought 2 of them so he can build a huge home on his 10 acres. Comes from wealthy parents. Can't wait until they look in back of our newish mobile home and see the sheets on my chicken coop.
lau.gif
The guy next door is super nice but no we are not invited to their pool parties. I certainly would not go but my SIL would in a heartbeat. We are not hicks, college educated, just chose to put our money in a Dog Grooming and Boarding business and not in a house. It sits in front of our home.
gig.gif
We were here first.

Well I made improvements to do the kennel coop doorway with 1/4 in hardware cloth including the gap. Got dark on me, so will be doing the roost area tomorrow. I've got a question for ya'll, in relation to the roost areas for your Dorkings, how high up are yours? Mine are all using the stick that's about 6-12 inches off the ground & the ones who can't fit are bedding down on the ground below them. They're refusing to use the higher up roost bars. Do your Dorks have trouble getting high off the ground, or are mine just being lazy lumps? I'm considering tossing the bottom stick or even raising it up a foot or two, just to get them off the ground & working those muscles. What is ya'll's experience with this? Thanks!!!

Well I made improvements to do the kennel coop doorway with 1/4 in hardware cloth including the gap. Got dark on me, so will be doing the roost area tomorrow. I've got a question for ya'll, in relation to the roost areas for your Dorkings, how high up are yours? Mine are all using the stick that's about 6-12 inches off the ground & the ones who can't fit are bedding down on the ground below them. They're refusing to use the higher up roost bars. Do your Dorks have trouble getting high off the ground, or are mine just being lazy lumps? I'm considering tossing the bottom stick or even raising it up a foot or two, just to get them off the ground & working those muscles. What is ya'll's experience with this? Thanks!!!
Mine free range and prefer to roost in trees. I have to bribe them into their coop right before dark. If I'm late then they're in the tree, and I'm climbing a ladder to pull them down. If there are any that are too high up I put electronet around the tree to keep raccoons and other predators away. Can't do anything about the owls, but the roosting tree canopy is pretty thick, so I been lucky so far. When they're in their coop they usually fly to the highest perch available, which is about 6 feet up. A few of them prefer the 3-4 feet high perches about half the time, depending on how tired they are.

But they didn't start out this way. As chicks they stayed on low perches until they were about 3-4 months old, then preferred perches about 3 feet high. At around 6 months old they started in the lower tree branches, about 6-8 feet high. They didn't think 15-30 feet up was fun until they were about 9-12 months old.

Greetings! Young birds "graduate" in height preference as they age. One way to prevent tree inclinations is to not allow birds to free-range until after they are securely oriented to permanent indoor perches. I never let birds out until they are consistently perching on their coop perches at which point "chickens come home to roost."

Well, I came down this morning to find one of my red hen chicks dead in the brooder. Not sure what killed her. She looked fine, other than being dead. Everyone looked good and energetic last night. One hen had been distress calling a lot. Wish I had tagged her so I'd know if she was the one who'd died.

Ive loved my silver grey dorking flock of 4 roosters and about 25 hens, but Im looking to add a bit of color to my flock - does anyone have any colored dorkings for sale or can refer me to someone that may have birds other than the silver? Im located in TExas - also, how is everyone marketing their birds?

Ive loved my silver grey dorking flock of 4 roosters and about 25 hens, but Im looking to add a bit of color to my flock - does anyone have any colored dorkings for sale or can refer me to someone that may have birds other than the silver? Im located in TExas - also, how is everyone marketing their birds?

Greetings Heartrock Ranch!

There's another Dorking thread in a different BYC section that might be more of what you are looking for; I'm not certain.

Still, for thoughts, Colored Dorkings are, for all intents and purposes, extinct. They're an intermediate and unstable color pattern that requires highly levels of singular attention. It's actually really hard to get folks to breed that way and has been for a long time. The result is that they have petered away.

Dorkings as a whole are a breed in distinct need to dedicated breeders. The only three varieties with even a chance of survival in standard-bred form--standard-bred breeding being the purpose of this thread; they are the Whites, the Reds, and the Silver Greys. Of the three, the Whites are in the strongest position.

You are actually, perhaps to your unawares, in an ideal situation to begin a powerful breeding program in the Silver grey Dorkings, which would be a real boon for the variety. The trick would be to sublimate the impulse "for color in your flock", a desire which is one of the commonest modes by which folks are impeded from becoming good breeders, and instead, becoming a master of the Silver Duckwing pattern, correcting and perfecting it. You are wonderfully poised to undertake this, which would be an excellent endeavor.

It is for this latter endeavor that this thread would be your destination.

Best,

Joseph
Yellow House Farm

Last edited:
Yellow House Farm:

Hello and Blessings - thank you so much for your wisdom and encouragement - very much appreciated :)
I guess I may have represented myself incorrectly ... I would like to add another color dorking to my dorking program - not cross into my flock. Ideally I would like to have the Silver Greys and the Reds :) but not to cross to each other.... we actually got into the dorkings for our home farm and meat/egg production... but in that I have enjoyed the breed and have been culling back the good females/males to improve the flock out of the eggs I hatch out. Needless to say, in being a picky breeder to the standard, it is difficult to get a true ideal standard I want (body/carcass/correctly places/parted toes, good combs that stand correctly, wide backs/bodies, short legs, good color, disposition and good layers lol) so I would just like to add another variety of the dorking to have two different flocks of dorkings Im improving upon. My husband just built me an amazing huge "Fort Hennie" chicken coop that runs 60 x 20 long, and we have a huge hay field adjacent to it that the dorkings LOVE the grasshopper foraging days in - so I have the room to delve into my new interest and hobby. There is a hatchery or two that do carry the silver greys, but I have had difficulty finding any others - the Reds as i have researched are a bit larger in body, which may end up being a better meat bird over the silvers.... I don't know yet - but I'd like to delve into it and see -
Ive had the Buffs and Barred Rocks and Bantams and others over the years, but the dorkings are intriguing to me and Im not quite sure why they have become an undesirable or non bred bird in the industry?

Back
Top Bottom