The Dorking Breeders thread

Broodiness is not so much a breed trait but a strain trait.  Even in the SOP, where it is mentioned, it is only reflecting the values of the day and not the current concern.  At the moment, there's not a judge in America that cares whether a breed goes broody or not--and neither should there be, because it is of no importance to the needs and concerns of current breeders.

The shape of  bird establishes its breed; the color or, sometimes, comb type establishes its variety.  Thant is all.  The other traits are reflective of the breeders selection (or lack there of).  For exmple, up until this point, I tend to be rather artificial incubation-based; natural incubation is of little rt importance for my current operation.

This makes considerable sense. It seems there are only a handful of breeders currently working with Dorkings... Do you know if there are any strains specifically being selected for this trait? It seems as if it would have value to those (myself included) wanting a low-impact, self-sufficient lifestyle.

Do any Dorking breeders of note plan to attend the poultry show at the Indiana State Fair this year? While I am not ready to start my own flock yet, I'm studying as much as I can and trying to refine my eye regarding correct type. I love the SGD's but will probably begin with whites... It makes the most sense to me to start with a "self" color as I'm learning to select for type and vigor.

If they are true silver grey Dorkings, they can be autosexed easily.  Were they breeding birds?  Is that why they look rough?  I'd consider treating for coccidiosis preventatively since they came from a hatchery, and be sure to be careful in your quarantine procedures.  A friend bought some from them and her chicks look full-blooded.  Do they all have five toes?  I've seen ads wherein the "breeder" says not all will have 5 toes.  Dead giveaway that they were crossed with something else.  Mine are from Sand Hill (just 3), but I purchased hatching eggs from OK and home they aren't Sand Hill (seller never would say, even though I asked).  Stunningly, the majority are both fertile and doing well.  2-3 had detached air cells that did not reattach during the 24 hour waiting period, but the rest look good.  Hoping for 3-4 pullets out of 8-9 properly developing eggs.

These are certainly different than my other birds, mostly Orpingtons.  First, they are excellent flyers!  I hope my fencing and netting will keep them in.

I am looking to sell part of my Bielefelder flock to make room for the Dorkings.  If anyone knows someone who wants a trio(1 year old roo plus two 1 year old hens), I am NPIP certified and could ship.  They are autosexing, too.  I just like the Dorkings better.  The Bieles are fine, nothing wrong with them, but I'm more intrigued by an ancient breed that needs conserving than a new man-made breed.

They do all have 5 toes and single combs. They were a breeding stock so missing alot of their back feathers. When their 30 day quarantine is up I will be taking over one of my hens from my current flock to stay in with them for an additonal 15 days to make sure they are not a carrier for anything.

Last edited:
I was looking into a Rose Comb Dorking pullet for next Spring or year after. Doesn't look like Dorkings are an option for only one juvenile order -- I can't accommodate a minimum chick order of 15-25 chicks and looking for just one juvenile pullet has been a challenge. Guess I'll look into some other breed?

I was looking into a Rose Comb Dorking pullet for next Spring or year after. Doesn't look like Dorkings are an option for only one juvenile order -- I can't accommodate a minimum chick order of 15-25 chicks and looking for just one juvenile pullet has been a challenge. Guess I'll look into some other breed?
What color Rose Comb Dorking are you looking for?

The only Rose Comb Dorkings that are from a hatchery (that I know of) are from Sandhill Preservation Center, and they don't vent sex their chicks, so there's no way for you to know if you got a little pullet or little cockerel chick. You could reach an agreement with a friend or neighbor. They could order the chicks, raise them up until you could tell which ones are pullets vs cockerels, and then you could buy a pullet from them. If you can find a breeder local to you, you might be able to buy a pullet, once they're old enough to tell the boys from the girls. I don't know of any breeders that vent sex their chicks. So if you only want one, and it has to be a female, and it has to be a Rose Comb, you're pretty much stuck with buying them when they're old enough to tell the difference in gender. Very few breeders or hatcheries will ship the larger birds, and the cost of shipping is very high, so you'll need local.

Do you need a Rose Combed bird? If you could take a Single Combed Silver Grey Dorking, you could order from Murray McMurray hatchery. They vent sex their chicks, with at least a 90% guarantee of accuracy. You would need an order of 25 total chicks, but they don't all have to be the same breed. You could split an order with another person(s), and just ask them to mark the Dorking pullet. (You really shouldn't raise just one chick at a time -- they're social animals, and need company. Two is an absolute minimum, but 4-5 is best to avoid stress.) Or you could find a feed store that is willing to special order the Dorking pullet(s) for you when they order from their hatchery. A friend of mine asked her local feed store to add in a few Dorking pullets and one cockerel to their regular chick shipment, and they were glad to accommodate her. They ordered from Ideal hatchery, which don't have the best Dorkings in the world (MO), but she was quite happy with them. They were sweet birds, laid a reasonable number of eggs, and were wonderful pets. She wasn't breeding them, so she didn't care if they were close to the SOP or not.

What color Rose Comb Dorking are you looking for?

The only Rose Comb Dorkings that are from a hatchery (that I know of) are from Sandhill Preservation Center, and they don't vent sex their chicks, so there's no way for you to know if you got a little pullet or little cockerel chick. You could reach an agreement with a friend or neighbor. They could order the chicks, raise them up until you could tell which ones are pullets vs cockerels, and then you could buy a pullet from them. If you can find a breeder local to you, you might be able to buy a pullet, once they're old enough to tell the boys from the girls. I don't know of any breeders that vent sex their chicks. So if you only want one, and it has to be a female, and it has to be a Rose Comb, you're pretty much stuck with buying them when they're old enough to tell the difference in gender. Very few breeders or hatcheries will ship the larger birds, and the cost of shipping is very high, so you'll need local.

Do you need a Rose Combed bird? If you could take a Single Combed Silver Grey Dorking, you could order from Murray McMurray hatchery. They vent sex their chicks, with at least a 90% guarantee of accuracy. You would need an order of 25 total chicks, but they don't all have to be the same breed. You could split an order with another person(s), and just ask them to mark the Dorking pullet. (You really shouldn't raise just one chick at a time -- they're social animals, and need company. Two is an absolute minimum, but 4-5 is best to avoid stress.) Or you could find a feed store that is willing to special order the Dorking pullet(s) for you when they order from their hatchery. A friend of mine asked her local feed store to add in a few Dorking pullets and one cockerel to their regular chick shipment, and they were glad to accommodate her. They ordered from Ideal hatchery, which don't have the best Dorkings in the world (MO), but she was quite happy with them. They were sweet birds, laid a reasonable number of eggs, and were wonderful pets. She wasn't breeding them, so she didn't care if they were close to the SOP or not.

TY for all your suggestions. I have tried them all already including the split order idea. And I don't get chicks - only juvenile adult females because it is too hard to re-home unwanted cockerels in the city. We get anywhere from 2-mo to 5-mo-old pullets one at a time one or two years apart and quarantine them in-house where we get them vet-checked, people socialized, and grown big enough that we can integrate a pullet slowly into the backyard group - we are zone limited so I can't have a lot of chickens, limit 5 hens/no roos. Even if I was so crazy as to get chicks it's always a minimum order - even 3 chicks either sexed or unsexed is more than I want or need. My local feed store will special order a breed for me also but only SC Dorking varieties are available from the major hatcheries as far as I can tell.

I have researched so many nice reviews of the Dorking. I know it's possible to get SC Dorkings and in quite a nice variety of colors but I was trying to get a rose comb. None of my breeds have SCs and I want to keep it that way. I haven't liked any of our SC breeds in the past 5 yrs and we've been lucky sticking with the walnut/pea/RC/or NO-comb breeds. The Dorking has such a wonderful reputation but seems like the U.K. or Canada are where you find the RC varieties. I will continue searching as someone somewhere must have RCs. If even RC RIRs are available in USA than a Dorking must also? Flip Flop Ranch breeds Dorkings in various colors and is close enough to me that I can actually pick up a bird order from them but I have not heard back from them yet as to whether they have any RC Dorkings.

We have two gentle Silkies, and one Blue Breda - with a Cuckoo Breda pullet on order for Autumn. The gentle 4-lb Bredas are very docile around the bantam Silkies and are excellent layers. I was considering a 4.5-lb Dominique pullet as we've had that RC breed before but recently have been very interested in the Dorking as has been my DH. He has as much say-so in the breed choices as me. The only drawback we can foresee in adding a Dorking to our light-weight flock is that the heavier Dorking might be tempted to bully smaller or docile flockmates simply because she could get away with it? We carry that possibility in our thoughts.

It sounds like rose combs are for you! The SOP only allows the rose comb in the white and the cuckoo in the U.S. There are other colors that have them, but that is not what the SOP calls for. The cuckoo is extremely rare. The RC white is around, with several breeders on this page, but they are mostly in the midwest and eastern seaboard. Hopefully you can find some close to you. You might want to contact Clay Shipley and Jeromy Woeppel to see if they've shipped out any birds to someone else in your region within the last 3-5 years. Someone might have an extra pullet they'd be willing to sell. A LF Dorking hen will almost certainly be the dominant hene due to her size. As long as she is not an abusive leader, then she'll probably do fine.

It sounds like rose combs are for you! The SOP only allows the rose comb in the white and the cuckoo in the U.S. There are other colors that have them, but that is not what the SOP calls for. The cuckoo is extremely rare. The RC white is around, with several breeders on this page, but they are mostly in the midwest and eastern seaboard. Hopefully you can find some close to you. You might want to contact Clay Shipley and Jeromy Woeppel to see if they've shipped out any birds to someone else in your region within the last 3-5 years. Someone might have an extra pullet they'd be willing to sell. A LF Dorking hen will almost certainly be the dominant hene due to her size. As long as she is not an abusive leader, then she'll probably do fine.

Thank you for your kind reply. I have noticed that the White Dorking seems to be the prevalent RC in the USA. I've had white breed chickens before and they dirty-up and stain badly in our backyard. We concluded a few years back that white was not in our future. An RC Cuckoo Dorking would be a better choice. I agree that the Cuckoo would be extremely rare. Even with the Cuckoo Breda I have on order it was difficult to find breeders that continued breeding that variety. I have no problem getting shipped juveniles as I have had East Coast and Midwest breeders ship to me on the West Coast.

I may deter my Dorking quest as we have qualms about adding a heavy breed to our light-weight flock. We introduced a proposed docile 7-lb Marans to our little group and within a few months at maturity she was challenging the small alpha White Leghorn who promptly put her in her place, so she turned to terrorizing and cannibalizing the smaller Silkies. We had to re-home the Marans as we had to with all our other dual-purpose and production breeds. The only two successful lighter-weight docile LFs we kept in the flock with the Silkies were a Blue Wheaten Ameraucana and Blue Breda (with a 2nd Cuckoo Breda on order). Dynamics in a small flock like ours is so much different from a flock with many more chickens in it. Pecking orders are necessary for chickens -- for all their seemingly disorderly behavior they do require the security of having a pecking order. But we've had to re-home a few excessive bully breeds before their meanness got contagious in the smalll flock.

Here is one reason we have qualms about heavy breeds around our docile breeds - a Silkie was being cannibalized by a sneaky LF Marans in the coop at night before we realized she was NOT molting poor thing!

Back
Top Bottom