The Dorking Breeders thread

Oh dear. Yes, chickens can be brutal to each other. Even "docile" breeds will occasionally become bullies if it's an easy task because of their large size. It sounds like you need some docile rose combed bantam hens. I don't know of anyone who has RC bantam Dorkings in the U.S. Good luck in your search for the perfect new family member.

Oh dear. Yes, chickens can be brutal to each other. Even "docile" breeds will occasionally become bullies if it's an easy task because of their large size. It sounds like you need some docile rose combed bantam hens. I don't know of anyone who has RC bantam Dorkings in the U.S. Good luck in your search for the perfect new family member.

TY so much for all your information! It does get tricky getting the right mix of breeds when you are zoned for only 5 hens and no roos. Still I feel grateful that we can have at least some chickens while communities around us have restrictions on having ANY chickens!

Hello!

I just started researching Dorkings and I'm very interested in adding some to my backyard flock. I aspire to be a breeder someday, but only if I have quality birds. I live in Southwest Michigan. Are there different varieties of Dorkings that would do better here due to the cold in winter? If anyone has suggestions on pages or reading that would be excellent also. I currently have Wyandottes.

Hello!

I just started researching Dorkings and I'm very interested in adding some to my backyard flock. I aspire to be a breeder someday, but only if I have quality birds. I live in Southwest Michigan. Are there different varieties of Dorkings that would do better here due to the cold in winter? If anyone has suggestions on pages or reading that would be excellent also. I currently have Wyandottes.

The large single combs can be sensitive to frost bite, so the varieties with rose combs might do better in your climate, unless you have an adequately insulated coop or barn. The white is the most common variety seen with a rose comb.

Quote:
Thank you for the information. I really appreciate it. I would think it would be easier to spot a quality white bird also, due to some birds having breed standards on type, piled on top with standards on what a good quality color is. I would imagine the birds are always pure white also (like freshly fallen snow) Please correct me if I'm wrong though.

I hope it's appropriate to ask these questions on the actual breeder's page. I have learned a lot, and I find it's better to talk to the people that are really driven to improve and care for the breeds in question. Thanks again!

I hope this info isn't easily found everywhere, but where could I find some quality white dorking birds/chicks/hatching eggs? I am located in WI.

I hope this info isn't easily found everywhere, but where could I find some quality white dorking birds/chicks/hatching eggs? I am located in WI.
Yellow House Farm has the best known WDs in the US, but Joseph is taking a break from dealing with the public. He may restart selling in another few years.

Clay Shipley has some nice WDs. I think his original stock came from Joseph at Yellow House Farm. I'm not sure where he is, I think somewhere on the East Coast (VA?), but I think he ships. He's on this thread.

Jeremy Woeppel also has nice WDs. I'm not sure where his stock came from. He's in NE, and I think he ships. Here's his website: http://www.xwpoultryranch.com/Photo_Gallery.php The WDs are below the Barred Rocks on the page.

I will be getting some dorkings from a friend who is having to move and can't take them. There are three red hens and a red roo. There is also a lone silver grey roo. All of his hens were killed. What would I get if I crossed the silver roo over a red hen? Could I eventually get some silver hens? Don't know how the genetics work on these colors. I appreciate any help.

I will be getting some dorkings from a friend who is having to move and can't take them. There are three red hens and a red roo. There is also a lone silver grey roo. All of his hens were killed. What would I get if I crossed the silver roo over a red hen? Could I eventually get some silver hens? Don't know how the genetics work on these colors. I appreciate any help.

I don't breed but from everything posted about breeding. it's probably best not to mix color varieties. You're all set to have one breeding pen for your Red quad. It should be easy to get some Silver Grey pullets to go w/ your other SG roo. I know Flip Flop Ranch in CA maintains rare breeds of animals like Silver Grey Dorkings along w/ some other Dorking varieties, Cotton Patch Geese, etc, so you will probably be able to find a breeder closer to your East Coast for some Silver Grey pullets.

Thanks for the reply. I've done more research since this post and think if they mix I will have a big MESS. I'm just gonna try and get some hens, chicks or eggs in the silver grey. I'm in NW Florida and have my feelers out for a local lead but haven't found one. I would love to get some from Mr. Hortsman but that's a long way for the little buggers to travel. I'll keep looking. I can separate the silver grey rooster from the others so at least I can start hatching reds in a month. Picked up the red hens today. Will try and get the rooster by the weekend. It was a last minute scramble to get the pen sectioned off for them. Was a "future" project that got bumped up a little. My husband is so good to me and such an enabler to my addiction
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom