The dreaded question... ♂ or ♀ 9-10ish week old Austra white

Well... We'll see I suppose. This is the first batch-o-chickens living in this garden shed-turned coop. The wall had been covered over by a hodge podge of weird old doors nailed on top from when we bought this place. We're in a seasonally wet/dry climate so I guess we'll see? The coop is under a lot of overhanging tree growth. We hacked open the eaves under the roof for ventilation so I'm hoping that'll help. But most of that is inherited water damage. :/

Still a girl - I'd say she's going to start laying soon. A cockerel would most likely be crowing by now and showing some roostery feathers.

I wonder how soon? 13ish weeks seems kinda young, doesn't it? How long does it take their little combs and wattles to redden before they lay? (I've looked around trying to find Austra White info to this effect and other than generally things saying they mature quickly there's the generic "chickens start laying at around 18-24 weeks with variation by breed")

Just picked up a couple Austra Whites yesterday but we have several of each parent breed.

This is going to be almost as aggravating as that generic answer you found but our Leghorns start laying about 17-19 weeks and our Australorps started about 25 weeks. The Whites could probably be anywhere in that area.

The comb and wattles can go bright red very quickly, almost overnight. At that point they're getting close, days to a couple weeks in my experience.

Thank you thank you! I appreciate you all! And so does Queenie (even if she doesn't know it... I'm sure she wouldn't especially enjoy the experience of being rehomed and integrated into a new family (or eaten)).

Back
Top Bottom