The Duck Report by Evadig

It is a nice evening after a sweltering hot day. I sit on the back deck, my first time outside in nearly a week since I tore something in my knee. Winnie’s loud and insistent quack suddenly echos over the backyard. The chickens are eating the duck food again…

They look like they got a little bigger since I last saw them Thursday, but as I was viewing them from at least fifty feet away, it was hard to tell. I persuaded my mom to get a picture of them though for their eight week anniversary of hatching. I’m grateful to my sister for doing all the work while I’m out of order - it’s hard for her, she’s not exactly a waterfowl person :). At least everyone’s been getting along for the most part, except when the geese barrel through the fence and get in the ducks’ nice fresh water!

Attachments

• IMG_4803.jpeg
    IMG_4803.jpeg
    643.7 KB · Views: 2
Okay, I’m sort of back in order so I was able to go down and get some “good” pictures. Henry isn’t showing any signs of a green head at nine weeks. Everyone’s gotten plumper and bigger but they do not seem to be as big as my Pekings were. I know they are not quite as large but I thought they would be taller.

From left to right:
Henry, Hilda, Winnie (at nine weeks today), my original Pekings at a month old

Attachments

• IMG_2661.jpeg
    IMG_2661.jpeg
    889.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2658.jpeg
    IMG_2658.jpeg
    890 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2659.jpeg
    IMG_2659.jpeg
    731.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2711.jpeg
    IMG_2711.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
I forgot to post for a couple weeks because I’ve been busy with school. I have to say college and fifteen barnyard fowl don’t mix too well…
Anyway, here are the ducks on their twelfth (week) birthday. They are loving the marsh that was created when I dumped their pools out this afternoon. Henry is definitely a male, you can see the gray feathers coming in on the head. He has a really raspy quack too.

Attachments

• IMG_2953.jpeg
    IMG_2953.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2877.jpeg
    IMG_2877.jpeg
    674.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2878.jpeg
    IMG_2878.jpeg
    698.8 KB · Views: 1
Good morning Miss Lydia, I hope you have a wonderful day. I have a goose now. the neighbors gave him to me. He was as soft as could be when I first got him now he has feathers going in every direction. :lol: he is a Sebastopol.
Aww how old and where are the pics?

Back
Top Bottom