The Duck Report by Evadig

Pics

Evadig

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
May 16, 2023
East Coast and LA
Whenever I get a new set of babies I try to keep a journal of their weekly growth; since I failed miserably with the geese and turkeys I’m going to try keeping my duck journal here so as to sort of hold myself accountable 🙂.

So then, here is the first weekly installment of The Duck Report:

Here’s the quackers! They arrived this morning. From left to right: Saxony (m), Welsh Harlequin (f), and Silver Appleyard (f). They are eating and drinking and seem to be healthy. It did not take them long to figure out how to use the dishes - and to try taking a bath. It’s so warm here I have them inside their brooder out on the deck.

Attachments

• IMG_1676.jpeg
    IMG_1676.jpeg
    486.2 KB · Views: 271
Last night they began crying for me so I gave them an old shirt to snuggle into. They were very happy with it - this screenshot of the video I took does not do them justice!

Attachments

• IMG_1712.jpeg
    IMG_1712.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
As the ducklings are now a week old, I decided that since they made their brooder a mess this morning trying to swim in their water dish, I would let them take a bath in the real bathtub. There is about 1/2 inch of water. They loved it! After five minutes I put them back in their brooder where they are comfortably snuggled under the heat lamp.
I also an’t get over how big they’ve grown in a week - they doubled in size!

Attachments

• IMG_1782.jpeg
    IMG_1782.jpeg
    497.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1783.jpeg
    IMG_1783.jpeg
    414.8 KB · Views: 10
Oh my gosh they are so adorable! We don't have geese or ducks, thanks for the journal so I can enjoy yours 😁 I read you have 1 each of 3 breeds, how did you choose what breeds to get? (I know nothing about ducks beyond they quack and they like water 😁)

Oh my gosh they are so adorable! We don't have geese or ducks, thanks for the journal so I can enjoy yours 😁 I read you have 1 each of 3 breeds, how did you choose what breeds to get? (I know nothing about ducks beyond they quack and they like water 😁)
Yes, they definitely love water! They're making a mess in their brooder again :hmm. I chose these breeds because they are heritage, somewhat rare, good-natured*, and colorful.

*I have never owned these three particular breeds so I'm just going off the description from the hatchery as well as other people. They are really sweet though.

Back
Top Bottom