Duck nutrition and habitat questions

JBussler

In the Brooder
Apr 11, 2024
So my girlfriend and I got 3 ducks (2 mallards and 1 Peking). Primarily for pets. They are a little over 3 weeks old now and Ive got questions about nutrition.

Naturally rural King gave us chick starter and I quickly found out about niacin and protein levels and got them switched to a non medicated duck crumble. (I've raised and had parrots/cockatoos my whole life so I did a deep dive on duck info). The feed I use has the 35mg/lb niacin, (unmedicated) but I read the suggested protein is around 18%. The crumble mix is a 22%.

I imagined that's okay, but my question is concerning giving them treats. I pick dandelion and dandelion greens (originally trying to make up for their initial lack of niacin, but now they love them). and also have dried mealworms. Would giving the mealworms as treats be giving them too much protein and hurt them in some way being that the feed is already kind of high?

Also, in terms of keeping them occupied. It's too cold here still to let them outside much, but I wanted them to be able to get fulfillment through their foraging so I dug up a 12" pan worth of sod out back And put in their enclosure to rifle through. I often add the dandelions (greens and flowers) into the sod as snacks. But again I am worried about the nutritional balance and how it will affect growth.

These little guys are amazing and my girlfriend and I have bonded with them each individually so we would be devastated if we lost any.

Also other ideas to give them things for general enjoyment in the enclosure is welcome.

**Also curious about how much water to keep for them. Cleaning the space is a non issue, and I let them take a deep water swim every day to bathe. They are big enough to stand in one of the old school square metal dish sinks now.

(The enclosure picture is about a week old, they are larger now. Duck selfie is current)

Attachments

• 20240404_163853.jpg
    20240404_163853.jpg
    735.7 KB · Views: 60
  • 20240411_104234.jpg
    20240411_104234.jpg
    365.6 KB · Views: 8
I did also read absolutely everywhere that you can't potty train ducks. But I noticed my Peking specifically wiggles his tail and backs up right before he poops. Baby cockatoos do the same exact thing, and I'm using this to train him not to poo on me. And it's working, I'll follow up with this in a week or so, but they seem to learn the same way that parrots do.

Good research there. My duckling feed is also 22% protein, and I've never had an issue with it. In fact, I also feed it to my chicks as it makes ore sense logistically for me.

Treats are a touchy subject though. Most recommend not to offer the until they are 6 weeks old. Since you already are though, you'll need to have grit available for them so their gizzards can grind them down. Depending on the sod, they may actually get their grit from that though. I trust you don't use pesticide.

Mine have drinking water available at all times when in the brooder, but once outside in a coop food and water are withheld overnight.

:welcome !

Yeah the sod is a sandy dirt, and absolutely no pesticides. This is my first time with ducklings but parrots are super sensitive to chemicals. Even candles can make them sick, so I have approached this similarly. And I've watched them get their beaks wet and get down into the dirt so I'm pretty sure they're consuming it as well. (There's no pebbles, it's granny's yard lol)

They always need a container deep enough to be able to dunk their heads to keep their eyes and nares clean. And to keep them from choking when eating.
I made a waterer like this to keep mine from climbing inside but they can still dunk their heads.
I would use something like Nutritional yeast when feeding them, especially with your Pekin they grow so fast their legs have a hard time keeping up and they can have a niacin deficiency pretty easy. Many who have Pekins use Nutritional yeast all their lives. 1Tablespoon over each cup of feed offered.
I'll get you info on niacin deficiency
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/
with this waterer, you can put a deeper bowl under them as they grow and also enlarge the holes if needed.
Now we need some more pictures of your little ones
:welcome
IMG_2627.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2627.jpeg
    IMG_2627.jpeg
    455.3 KB · Views: 5
They always need a container deep enough to be able to dunk their heads to keep their eyes and nares clean. And to keep them from choking when eating.
I made a waterer like this to keep mine from climbing inside but they can still dunk their heads.
I would use something like Nutritional yeast when feeding them, especially with your Pekin they grow so fast their legs have a hard time keeping up and they can have a niacin deficiency pretty easy. Many who have Pekins use Nutritional yeast all their lives. 1Tablespoon over each cup of feed offered.
I'll get you info on niacin deficiency
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/
with this waterer, you can put a deeper bowl under them as they grow and also enlarge the holes if needed.
Now we need some more pictures of your little ones
:welcome
View attachment 3798611
What are your thoughts on the protein levels? Can it hurt them if they get too much?

Some say it can cause angel wing. When I first started with duckling I fed Purina Flock Raiser crumble all the feed store sold in 2004 was Purina (small town) it’s 22 % I believe I started my ducklings on it and that’s what they ate all their lives never had angel wing in any. Also gave them dried meal worms as a treat plus greens. The jury is still out on if protein causes angel wing. I’ve seen pictures of Canada geese at parks where people throw bread and no telling what else for these geese and ducks and angel wing appears on them. So I don’t think protein will hurt them in their feed most all flocks feeds are from hatch till end of life. I don’t have a problem with it myself. I now feed a Non GMO feed and can’t get it in an all flock so I use Nutritional yeast for my flock and give my flock mealworms and dry good quality dog kibble for some extra protein as a treat. I would be heartbroken if you come back in a month and said one of my duckling has angel wing ( which is easy to fix if caught quick)so please research and make up your own mind about feed and what you decide is best for your flock

Some say it can cause angel wing. When I first started with duckling I fed Purina Flock Raiser crumble all the feed store sold in 2004 was Purina (small town) it’s 22 % I believe I started my ducklings on it and that’s what they ate all their lives never had angel wing in any. Also gave them dried meal worms as a treat plus greens. The jury is still out on if protein causes angel wing. I’ve seen pictures of Canada geese at parks where people throw bread and no telling what else for these geese and ducks and angel wing appears on them. So I don’t think protein will hurt them in their feed most all flocks feeds are from hatch till end of life. I don’t have a problem with it myself. I now feed a Non GMO feed and can’t get it in an all flock so I use Nutritional yeast for my flock and give my flock mealworms and dry good quality dog kibble for some extra protein as a treat. I would be heartbroken if you come back in a month and said one of my duckling has angel wing ( which is easy to fix if caught quick)so please research and make up your own mind about feed and what you decide is best for your flock
I'm in a small town too. I went to 5 different stores, none carry actual nutritional yeast. I did find niacin capsules (500mg without extra chemicals) at rite aid, I'm going to just do a small sprinkle on top of their crumble. Also I'll only give a couple of meal worms as a treat in the mornings during their swim/bath. Thank you for the info, pictures to come.

Also was reading that mixing 25% oats with 75% feed can reduce protein intake, and then just supplement the niacin. I think that's my plan going forward just in case. My Peking does seem to sit a lot but he can walk/run fine and has straight legs. I just worry about my babies

Back
Top Bottom