The Duck Thread

@season1223
  - how are things?  She may have an imbalance in her digestive system, and some swelling that will go down by tomorrow.  My Sieben had that once and it was scary looking on a Runner.  Or she may have a problem with parasites, or perhaps a yeast infection or similar problem.

Please let us know how she's doing.

She seemed to be doing much better last night and the whole neighborhood could hear her quacking this morning so she has her quack back! I was just reading that ducks will eat frogs...maybe thats what happened to make her chest big! If theyre anything like chickens what they eat will sit in the chest for a bit while it digests! She kinda has a large chest anyways when she slouches! Shes such a silly bird! Her & my big white hen r bffs...the duck follows & protects her! The quack is important to my flock cuz she lets me know when something's wrong!

@pyxis have you ordered from Holderreads before? I was given 2 WH males and was thinking of ordering from them for next spring....

I'm sorry about Sugars nest. I was sooo happy when Big Momma built her first nest and started sitting. (She's a jumbo pekin) My Cayugas ate her eggs one day...
1f622.png

Yep, I have! Great service and awesome ducklings. I ended up losing a lot of them though - I don't think I ordered enough and the trip from California was hard on them. They may have gotten chilled on the way here and a lot of them couldn't recover. So, I will be ordering more next time. My two WH juvenile drakes from them are really nice - I need to get updated pictures.

Sorry about your eggs :hugs

I have a question. One of my ducks had its first egg, it's not in a nest or anything it's just randomly layed in their house, and non of the ducks seem to even care about it. We really want babies. Should we leave this egg?

I have a question. One of my ducks had its first egg, it's not in a nest or anything it's just randomly layed in their house, and non of the ducks seem to even care about it. We really want babies. Should we leave this egg?

What breeds do you have? Some breeds don't go broody. If it's just laid in the middle of the floor with no nest or anything, the duck that laid it probably isn't feeling like she wants to incubate it. They will usually build a nest if they are getting ready to brood, lay a clutch in it over several days, and then sit on it. When they first start laying they are usually not too interested in brooding.

I recommend getting "Storey's Guide to Raiding Ducks by Dave Holderread. Many duck breeds don't get broody until they are around 2 years old.

What is this? I mean, I know its an egg, but I poked it and its soft and what is the long thing attached to it, an umbilical cord or something? I'm freaking out, Lily already laid her egg this morning. And since I've had her, all her eggs have been hard and great and well....normal. What would cause her to lay a second egg today and for it to be like this? I'm very concerned.

Coyotes came in last night a killed 4 of my muscovies. My big drake, a 1yr old white hen and 2 dark 4 month old hens. The risks of free ranging. Tonight the rodeo starts. Everyone in at dark. Should be interesting. The ducks love sleeping in the yard

What is this? I mean, I know its an egg, but I poked it and its soft and what is the long thing attached to it, an umbilical cord or something? I'm freaking out, Lily already laid her egg this morning. And since I've had her, all her eggs have been hard and great and well....normal. What would cause her to lay a second egg today and for it to be like this? I'm very concerned.
Does she have access to oyster shell?

-Kathy

Do not be concerned about the string, it is the chalaza. It attaches the yolk to the insides of the egg while the egg is intact. I see it all the time when I break open a chicken egg to eat. Since I am super duper far from being in the know about eggs and JadeComputerGal is very knowledgeable, I will say that my buddy told me his Welsh Harlequin girl was doing the 2 eggs a day sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom