The Duck Thread

Thank you! I believe they are both females, determined with a quick vent sexing when I bought them. Still though, American Buff females are usually around 14 pounds, which is four or five pounds bigger than my roman tufted goose, Lacie. Here's a picture of them together:

As you can see they're a bit smaller than her.

http://www.livestockconservancy.org/index.php/heritage/internal/buffgoose
Im thinking you may have cross breeds! Like i said, im no expert...just doing a little research but according to the article in this link American buff geese have redish orange bills and feet! U should check out the goose forum on here! Im sure there r plenty of geese experts that can answer your questions!
I still think your geese r beautiful! If i was going to have geese, I'd want some like yours! I think the really big breeds r scary lookin! Lol!

When my american buff geese get really excited, they can get some air - almost up to my chest. It's actually startling. They can't actually get anywhere though and they glide right back down after they calm down.

So here's a question for any geese people - anyone heard of a bantam american buff goose? They're supposed to be quite large, but my two are not even as big as my roman tufted. They are still juveniles born earlier this year but I've had them for months now and haven't really noticed any growth. I got them when they were supposedly two months old.
Pyxis here is a pic of my American Buff she is smaller than my 2 Toulouse and my Embden this is her at 5 months old I think yours maybe crossed with another breed did you get them local, the face on yours even makes me think she may be crossed with a type of wild goose. If you got her from a breeder did they have other breeds too? They are beautiful geese your 2 but they aren't pure American. Which wouldn't matter at all to me hope it doesn't to you.

900x900px-LL-2e4c87e3_007.jpeg

Last edited:
Pyxis here is a pic of my American Buff she is smaller than my 2 Toulouse and my Embden this is her at 5 months old I think yours maybe crossed with another breed did you get them local, the face on yours even makes me think she may be crossed with a type of wild goose. If you got her from a breeder did they have other breeds too? They are beautiful geese your 2 but they aren't pure American. Which wouldn't matter at all to me hope it doesn't to you.
Thanks for responding to that Miss Lydia! I was just over in the geese thread reading about the American buffs, blues, lavenders...the question just had me curious! I don't have any geese but i really think those r pretty! I even like the different colored bill and feet on Pyxis' geese...makes them unique! I could care less if any of my birds r purebred...u seem to get the more "one of a kind" lookin birds from crosses!

Thanks for responding to that Miss Lydia! I was just over in the geese thread reading about the American buffs, blues, lavenders...the question just had me curious! I don't have any geese but i really think those r pretty! I even like the different colored bill and feet on Pyxis' geese...makes them unique! I could care less if any of my birds r purebred...u seem to get the more "one of a kind" lookin birds from crosses!
@season1223 Look at this https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/440724/wild-goose-thread
I really like the look of her geese it's something about the shape of the bill that makes me wish I could remember where I have seen it.. I am not into pure anything. I have only Muscovy's because that is what I started with and since I have enough haven't ever brought another breed into the mix. My one Toulouse gander is a mix of buff and Toulouse and I think he is gorgeous. Since I am not into breeding and selling or showing it really doesn't matter to me. I have seen some gorgeous mixes here on BYC .

Last edited:
Miss Lydia, she is cute. Look at her webs. Can you hold her? I bet she is soft.

Ok I am super confused. I thought duck eggs were supposed to be incubated at 35% and misted or dipped. But Metzer says incubation is supposed to be 86% then 94% at lockdown. Seriously!?!
I suggest that you acquire "Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks" by Dave Holderread. Temperature and humidity requirements can vary a great deal for various reasons. I have successfully used broody chicken hens to hatch Ancona eggs and have had a clutch fail under a broody chicken. Artificial incubation allows regular candling as long as the eggs are handled gently. I do mean gently too. Dave covers artificial incubation very well and in terms that won't confuse those new to waterfowl hatching. Having Mr. holderread's

Back
Top Bottom