The Duck Thread

She would have, but both times ravens broke into her nest and destroyed all the eggs
sad.png
The first time, she was so close there was a perfectly formed duckling left over after the attack, just about ready to hatch. It would have been so cute, it was all yellow with a little black tail
sad.png

O no, that's heart breaking.

When my american buff geese get really excited, they can get some air - almost up to my chest. It's actually startling. They can't actually get anywhere though and they glide right back down after they calm down.

So here's a question for any geese people - anyone heard of a bantam american buff goose? They're supposed to be quite large, but my two are not even as big as my roman tufted. They are still juveniles born earlier this year but I've had them for months now and haven't really noticed any growth. I got them when they were supposedly two months old.

I don't have geese but im pretty sure "bantam" means miniature...maybe thats why they seem smaller?

I don't have geese but im pretty sure "bantam" means miniature...maybe thats why they seem smaller?

It does :) That's why I'm wondering if anyone knows if they are a thing. As far as I know they aren't but these guys just aren't getting any bigger :idunno

Here's one of them:

Last edited:
It does :) That's why I'm wondering if anyone knows if they are a thing. As far as I know they aren't but these guys just aren't getting any bigger :idunno

Here's one of them:

Oh ok! Now i see what u was saying/asking! What a beautiful goose! Do u know their gender!? I read earlier that the females in most goose breeds r usually smaller than the males! Maybe thats why they seem smaller! Either way the one in the pic looks healthy! I love the colors! Sooo pretty!

Oh ok! Now i see what u was saying/asking! What a beautiful goose! Do u know their gender!? I read earlier that the females in most goose breeds r usually smaller than the males! Maybe thats why they seem smaller! Either way the one in the pic looks healthy! I love the colors! Sooo pretty!

Thank you! I believe they are both females, determined with a quick vent sexing when I bought them. Still though, American Buff females are usually around 14 pounds, which is four or five pounds bigger than my roman tufted goose, Lacie. Here's a picture of them together:

As you can see they're a bit smaller than her.

They usually do :) But if you have other ducks, they might lay in her nest, so it's a good idea to mark the eggs she starts with so you can take out any new ones that appear. And if she's laying new eggs, which it sounds like she is, you'll want to take those too because she won't stay on the nest to hatch them after the first eggs hatch. My pekin has gone broody twice this year, so they definitely do go broody, but it's a rare trait in pekins. You can tell if they are going bad by candling them - dead embryos are very apparent compared to their live counterparts. Any that die you take from the nest and toss out. Here is a candling chart for you so you can see what you're looking for:

I only have a duck couple. One boy and one girl. So they are only Lily's eggs. I have the exact candling chart that I'm referring to. Its darker in the shell but I don't see any veins. That's why I'm wondering if they are forming babies and my led flashlight sucks or if they are going bad.

Back
Top Bottom