The Duck Thread

I suggest that you acquire "Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks" by Dave Holderread. Temperature and humidity requirements can vary a great deal for various reasons. I have successfully used broody chicken hens to hatch Ancona eggs and have had a clutch fail under a broody chicken. Artificial incubation allows regular candling as long as the eggs are handled gently. I do mean gently too. Dave covers artificial incubation very well and in terms that won't confuse those new to waterfowl hatching. Having Mr. holderread's

Thanks I will have to check the library for it. I was told by other people who have successfully hatched that theirs was more in the 35% range. I just think 86 is a bit high. But maybe that's why I haven't been able to successfully hatch any.

Ok I am super confused. I thought duck eggs were supposed to be incubated at 35% and misted or dipped. But Metzer says incubation is supposed to be 86% then 94% at lockdown. Seriously!?!
I highly recommend getting "Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks" by Dave Holderread. The "rules" for artificial incubation are not etched in stone. There are methods for knowing why to increase or decrease humidity and how to accomplish a very healthy hatch.

Thanks I will have to check the library for it. I was told by other people who have successfully hatched that theirs was more in the 35% range. I just think 86 is a bit high. But maybe that's why I haven't been able to successfully hatch any.
I forgot to mention 2nd Edition. I just got abrand new copy for $3.99 on Amazon. My old copy was 1st edition. The new version has more "stuff" in it.

@Miss Lydia Thanks! I was told they are purebred, and the man I bought them from is the head of the VT Poultry Fanciers Association and regularly shows his, but I really don't know. They were raised by their mother - maybe momma goose had a visit from a wild Canada goose gander. Which would unfortunately mean my two girls are sterile. Either way, I'll keep them. They're not very human friendly, but I got them just for my goose Lacie to keep her company, so they're more hers than mine anyway :) I do think they are very pretty whether they are purebred or not. In the spring, I'm going to order a male gosling or two so they can have mates. Still haven't decided on breed for that, leaning towards another roman tufted like Lacie.

Ok I am super confused. I thought duck eggs were supposed to be incubated at 35% and misted or dipped. But Metzer says incubation is supposed to be 86% then 94% at lockdown. Seriously!?!

Don't listen to that! Metzer is confusing and their page is actually referring to wet bulb readings if you were using the wet bulb method to determine humidity. That almost got me into a lot of trouble when I was doing my first hatch.

@Miss Lydia Thanks! I was told they are purebred, and the man I bought them from is the head of the VT Poultry Fanciers Association and regularly shows his, but I really don't know. They were raised by their mother - maybe momma goose had a visit from a wild Canada goose gander. Which would unfortunately mean my two girls are sterile. Either way, I'll keep them. They're not very human friendly, but I got them just for my goose Lacie to keep her company, so they're more hers than mine anyway
smile.png
I do think they are very pretty whether they are purebred or not. In the spring, I'm going to order a male gosling or two so they can have mates. Still haven't decided on breed for that, leaning towards another roman tufted like Lacie.
@Pyxis They are pretty girls all 3 of them..

They are pretty girls all 3 of them..

Thank you! What breed gander do you have? I'm looking for a breed that's going to be docile and not too big for my little girls. I really love the roman tufted breed but I'm worried it'd be hard to tell the gander and Lacie apart, lol.

Also, come to think of it, if they were half Canada goose, that would also explain their seemingly ingrained aversion to people and their ability to actually get off the ground and fly across the yard, which Lacie certainly can't do.

You know, the more I think about it the more I think you might be right that they are crosses with a wild goose. Look at the face of the one I posted, she's got that lighter area which is just like the white face patch on a Canada goose...

Last edited:
Don't listen to that! Metzer is confusing and their page is actually referring to wet bulb readings if you were using the wet bulb method to determine humidity. That almost got me into a lot of trouble when I was doing my first hatch.

this is my third attempt so I am hoping for something to hatch this time.

Good luck! Have you tried weighing them and tracking air cell growth that way? It is very accurate and tells you exactly if you need to lower or raise humidity from week to week.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom