The Duck Thread

Well he was only a single duck inside there we many outside but his mama rejected him when he hatched so we had no choice but to bring him in. It was awesome he was such a sweet baby and we became his parents [me especially] Once he was 10-12 weeks old I began to leave him outside in his own stall over night boy was that hard on him and me when he was 12 weeks old we went and got him 3 females same age to grow up with that went great too but it was around 4 months that he became quite confused to where I fit into his lil harem. He got to where if i sat down outside with them he would climb my leg aggressively kind of like how they chase down one of their females and stand on her, If I turned my back he would jump on my back, I'm not kidding I was shocked how he would do that. Not knowing what was going on I couldn't understand his aggressive behavior towards me when I asked about it on here a few told me to kill him he isn't going to get better but worse. I could never had put him down so I got some good advise from some seasoned members who had delt with this and learned how to teach him to respect me as head duck. It took a while but he is now 4.5 yrs old and just a wonderful member of our family [flock] When they don't learn these lessons from other flock member or mama they really do get confused about where they and their humans fit together.

Last edited:
Well he was only a single duck inside there we many outside but his mama rejected him when he hatched so we had no choice but to bring him in. It was awesome he was such a sweet baby and we became his parents [me especially] Once he was 10-12 weeks old I began to leave him outside in his own stall over night boy was that hard on him and me when he was 12 weeks old we went and got him 3 females same age to grow up with that went great too but it was around 4 months that he became quite confused to where I fit into his lil harem. He got to where if i sat down outside with them he would climb my leg aggressively kind of like how they chase down one of their females and stand on her, If I turned my back he would jump on my back, I'm not kidding I was shocked how he would do that. Not knowing what was going on I couldn't understand his aggressive behavior towards me when I asked about it on here a few told me to kill him he isn't going to get better but worse. I could never had put him down so I got some good advise from some seasoned members who had delt with this and learned how to teach him to respect me as head duck. It took a while but he is now 4.5 yrs old and just a wonderful member of our family [flock] When they don't learn these lessons from other flock member or mama they really do get confused about where they and their humans fit together. 

Love all the cute duck and baby goat pix

O wow, not good. I'm so glad you got some good advice and that he's still with you
smile.png

Does anyone know anything about keeping ducks inside at night during winter??? My mom's friends said that they've had birds and it was horrible and I shouldn't do it because the bird poop turns into a hard to clean dust. Is this true? I also ordered a duck diaper off amazon so I'm waiting to get that in the mail.
I have three Pekins that are six months if that helps...

thanks so much

Does anyone know anything about keeping ducks inside at night during winter??? My mom's friends said that they've had birds and it was horrible and I shouldn't do it because the bird poop turns into a hard to clean dust. Is this true? I also ordered a duck diaper off amazon so I'm waiting to get that in the mail.
I have three Pekins that are six months if that helps...

thanks so much

It does turn into a crust. The easiest solution is to pick a corner to put them in at night. Either use a bin or a pool with something around it to keep them in and fill it with litter like you would a coop. During the day let them out. Ducks are very cold weather resistant.

Yeah that's what I was thinking, would it help to put them in the diapers though while I'm up with them at night when I bring them in? or does it not really make a difference?
if you just bring them in and clean up any messes (tile/hardwood/vinyl floors) it's not a problem. Diapers are for carpets, furniture, laps, and when wandering around indoors; not point a to B.

Back
Top Bottom