The Duck Thread

Here are a few pics of my loves from this week. They love picking around in the orchard mulch.

We used our first duck eggs to make a homemade breakfast pizza. It was amazing! I can't eat gluten so I make most things from scratch.

And I mentioned on here before we would be getting a new puppy! Here he is, 12 week old Kaiser.
Kaiser looks like a keeper. And the breakfast pizza...I will be happy to take any leftovers you may have. The ducks are cute...but then, ducks are always cute...goes without saying.

Everything is beautiful! Ducks, dog and pizza
big_smile.png

OK I need help! We picked up our new ducklings (2 Cayuga, 2 Blue Swedish and 1 Pekin) on Wednesday of last week. They are growing too fast!!! They have already outgrown the first box (too short to contain them) and the second box will be too small in a week or so. I don't want them to start pecking each other, so far they are one happy family. I know a shortage of space can cause pecking, I am trying to avoid this. When can I realistically expect for these babies to be able to go outside in a protected area? I know they have to be fully feathered but when might that be? We are trying to figure out what we need to do and for how long. HELP!!! Love the babies but just concerned. The Pekin is a whole lot bigger than the smaller Cayuga and Swedish.

I have never had ducklings before; my other 2 ducks came to us when they were 2 or 3 months old (I think). They were fully feathered by then and didn't need to be inside.

One of the little black ducklings jumped out of their container today (it is about 10" high)! I am glad I was out with them to see it or she would have been outside the box without food and water for no telling how long! They have since been moved into a taller box but it will be too small in a week or so.

Thanks in advance.
M

Shed? Mini playground? Explain...I don't have a clue. Guess I am dumb!!! I am trying to do this cheaply as they won't use it for long.

Thanks!
Have you thought about going to Lowes or Home depot and asking if they have an appliance box you can have? I don't k now how long they keep them but we just had to buy a refrigerator and it came delivered in the box So they may have some at the store. or a Furniture box. Or a x large plastic tote that you can use once the ducklings go outside. They start out at first week of life with temps of 85-90 and go down 5* each week there after.I used and Xlarge dog kennel I tie wrapped the door in place and used old window screens over the top to keep everyone inside.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom