The Duck Thread

Ahem, can we get a pic of that (ducklings coming out of your ears), please?
pop.gif
wink.png
x3

How can I build a good coop that protects the ducks from predators?
You can look up videos about that but basically you have to think of what the predators can do, have a top/roof so owls and Hawks can't get in, have small holes like hardware wire in your fence so raccoon paws or other small predators can't get in. And make sure you ether dig your fence in the ground or put rocks down so foxes, coyotes, or raccoons can't dig under. But if your talking about a house, just make sure it's sturdy and has a floor. :)

My goslings from Metzer should also be hatching about now :) We have the same ship week! I guess we can fret about them together until they arrive :p

Hey I know you said we could worry together so I thought I'd ask if you got your confirmation email from Metzer saying that your babies shipped. Or maybe if anyone else did could you let me know?

I didn't get anything and heard I was supposed to receive an email.

I'm going to call them tomorrow I'm just wondering. Thank you!

My goslings from Metzer should also be hatching about now :) We have the same ship week! I guess we can fret about them together until they arrive :p

Hey I know you said we could worry together so I thought I'd ask if you got your confirmation email from Metzer saying that your babies shipped. Or maybe if anyone else did could you let me know?

I didn't get anything and heard I was supposed to receive an email.

I'm going to call them tomorrow I'm just wondering. Thank you!

I think you're good - they said in my order confirmation email that they wouldn't contact me again unless they couldn't fill my order in which case they'd call the morning after the ship date. So, fingers crossed that they're on their way :fl

What is the best breed of duck that lays but are very friendly?

Pekins: EXTREMELY Friendly
OK layer

Khaki: Skittish, usually don't like people
GREAT layers

Rouens: Friendly
Good layers

Magpie: VERY Friendly
Good layers, Pretty eggs (teal)
(Rare ducks to find though, pretty)

Welshies: Friendly
Good layers
(very pretty ducks)

Runners: Friendly
Ok layers
(Comes in variety of colors)

Buff Orpington: Friendly
Good layers

What is the best breed of duck that lays but are very friendly?
Metzers has a duck comparison chart. That helped me pick what breeds I wanted.

http://www.metzerfarms.com/DuckBreedComparison.cfm?CustID=11152218

Pekins: EXTREMELY Friendly
OK layer

Khaki: Skittish, usually don't like people
GREAT layers

Rouens: Friendly
Good layers

Magpie: VERY Friendly
Good layers, Pretty eggs (teal)
(Rare ducks to find though, pretty)

Welshies: Friendly
Good layers
(very pretty ducks)

Runners: Friendly
Ok layers
(Comes in variety of colors)

Buff Orpington: Friendly
Good layers
thumbsup.gif
That's right, except I think Runners are generally considered skittish. I don't know where that idea came from, though. Mine is the most friendly, laid back one I have. I think WHs lay about as well as KCs, too, but I can't be sure about that bc mine don't lay yet. And WH are very friendly.

Back
Top Bottom