The Duck Thread

Happy Mother's Day to all. More egg death.! No development at all, well got the lamp on the dog house, it's cutting it close have to watch it closely around birds, question because it so close. Do I have to use it all the time. I like just to youse it at night or does it have to be on 24/7. They still have the one over food bowl and water dish,
[/URL]
The heat lamp is suppose to be on all the time, until the weather is warmer or seven weeks old. I wouldn't use it though if you think it's a fire hazard. I don't use heat lamps any longer, but use the momma cave with heating pad system. There's a thread about it. No danger of fire, and the poultry like it better. Also, minimal pasty butt. It mimics being under a warm mom. It' a myth that chicks and ducklings have to be kept super warm 24/7. In nature that doesn't happen.

Purchased six Khaki Campbells last week. They are five days old. All so happy. They get so excited about their water, and when they get fresh water. They all run together drink their water, then run back under their canopy, with the heating pad. Going through a lot of shavings, having to clean up the wet shavings at least three times a day. Will post pics when I get some good ones to share.

Also, rescued/purchased two goslings yesterday.

Purchased six Khaki Campbells last week. They are five days old. All so happy. They get so excited about their water, and when they get fresh water. They all run together drink their water, then run back under their canopy, with the heating pad. Going through a lot of shavings, having to clean up the wet shavings at least three times a day. Will post pics when I get some good ones to share.

Also, rescued/purchased two goslings yesterday.
Oooooh, yes, please post pics!
big_smile.png
My KC has almost finished growing her feathers, and I've forgotten what a cute KC duckling looks like cause mine is so big
hit.gif
How does a heating pad work? Is it better than a heat lamp?

Last edited:
Oooooh, yes, please post pics!
big_smile.png
My KC has almost finished growing her feathers, and I've forgotten what a cute KC duckling looks like cause mine is so big
hit.gif
How does a heating pad work? Is it better than a heat lamp?
There is a thread on it by Blooie called-Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder. I revised mine and used the top of a pet carrier lined with bubble foil insulation.

It works well for chicken chicks, but when I got the ducklings, they were too tall to go under the cave, so I draped a towel over one corner of their box, with the heating pad on the floor. They are doing well with it.

I'll post some pics, but for some reason my computer will only let me post one pic per post!

The reason why I like the cave is it mimics the natural behaviors of having a mom, going to bed at night, and they like having a safe place to hide. Mine has only heated to a max of 85 degrees on the inside. The temp. feels higher towards the back of the cave, but I can't see in that far to read a thermometer. When the chicks are first hatched I have the smaller heating pad on top on, just to make sure they're warm enough, and it helps them to dry better than leaving them in the incubator to dry.

At a few days old, I only keep the bottom heating pad on. I adjust the room temp also. There is less pasty butt, and everyone thrives.

Last edited:
Does that help the eggs itself also. Yes I fear it will get knocked off dog house. But eggs our not developing with her alone.

Back
Top Bottom