The Duck Thread

I have a Welsh Harlequin that has me gender confused... It quacks, has a black bill but orange feet and is colored like my drake. It has not been acting like a drake. But now it is sporting what looks like a drake feather. All three of my Welshies hatched here at the house and are about 5 and 1/2 mos. old. They were from eggs I bought on E-bay. Do I have TWO drakes??

on the left

Here it is with my girl

I have a Welsh Harlequin that has me gender confused... It quacks, has a black bill but orange feet and is colored like my drake. It has not been acting like a drake. But now it is sporting what looks like a drake feather. All three of my Welshies hatched here at the house and are about 5 and 1/2 mos. old. They were from eggs I bought on E-bay. Do I have TWO drakes??

on the left

Here it is with my girl

I have no idea - I can only offer that my Vier is definitely a girl, but when we got Bean the drake, she grew a drake feather.

I managed to get Fred, my Muscovy drake, into the outdoor sink but I think the struggle prior to did more harm than the soaking did good for his leg
th.gif
He's limping worse now
he.gif

I managed to get Fred, my Muscovy drake, into the outdoor sink but I think the struggle prior to did more harm than the soaking did good for his leg
th.gif
He's limping worse now
he.gif

If that happens here - and it does - I just do a quick pick up with T-Relief salve on my finger, swab it best I can on the leg and call it as good as we can get.

Is that gender confusion .. Or just how the bird is. When a bird is confused on boy and girl.

I am guessing that because Bean was not welcomed into the flock, he is seen as a potential interloper, and Vier's protective hormones kicked in so that it would appear that the flock already has a drake. In other words - we're taken, mister, see? We have a drake already. Keep moving along.

I keep Bean and his two girls separate, but the flocks are side by side.

If that happens here - and it does - I just do a quick pick up with T-Relief salve on my finger, swab it best I can on the leg and call it as good as we can get.
I need to get some of that.

What about leaving him in a tub with a cover so he can't get out?? This would keep his weight off of the leg for a day at least.

Back
Top Bottom