The Duck Thread

They said it can't defecate, and that alone will kill it. Not sure why it has a prolapse, but I suspect it's something that will not get better with any amount of intervention. I'm all for trying to save them, but I don't think this one can be saved.

-Kathy
Oh, I see.
sad.png
Poor chick.

So glad Pyxis replied!

I know how hard it is to keep vet wrap on a cone shape on a moving animal, lol... it may sound like a lot, but if nothing else you could try an x shaped wrap... go over each 'shoulder' right in front of the wing joint and cross between his legs and back up... it should make a V below his vent you can hold the gauze with...

Hope that made sense?
Makes sense. I got the bleeding to stop last night so far have not had to wrap him
fl.gif

Is he a young bird?
M
8.5 wks old
*EDIT... he is 4 mos old.

@Ren2014 sorry I'm no help with your little one. I think pyxis and ravyn had great suggestions. I hope you figure out what happened and he gets better real quick! The X-wrap with the vet wrap sounds like he will hate it, but probably the best option to keep it covered. Good luck!
hugs.gif
Thank you.

@Ren2014 I am still going with snapping turtle. took a chunk out of him and he managed to get away. No one knows for sure but being you have a pond it only seems natural what ever got him had to come up from under neath him. I hope all the suggestions help if you can keep pressure on the wound that should help with bleeding. So sorry this has happened to Fred. Maybe not soak in water and ES and see if it dries up faster.
It does make sense. Got the bleeding stopped last night. I have dc'd the soaks but continue to apply the Blue Kote. Thank you.

I would not pull any feathers, though I would clip them to half an inch around the wound.

There is a product to stop wounds from bleeding. You might even try cornstarch pressed onto the wound to stop the bleeding. edit to remove request for a new thread

Okay, I was able to go back and catch up.

I would definitely clip the feathers with a nail clipper - just to half an inch long . . . I would try corn starch or flour to stop the bleeding. There is something called styptic powder, or this product http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/woundseal-powder-to-stop-bleeding/ID=prod6099456-product

That is what I would work on first. I just read that these kinds of wounds can have a hematoma (bruise) under them. So initially, I would concentrate on managing the bleeding.

So I'd keep him inside, out of water for now, and try to get the bleeding to stop. Feed him normal food, plus some vitamins in his water at least a couple of times a week. I would want to keep him in for a number of reasons, including fly strike.

hugs.gif

@Ren2014
Thank you. The bleeding has stopped and I dc'd the soaks. Is Blue Kote ok to continue using? Definitely keeping him inside.

So I'm gonna let my ducks free range today will they come back to the coupe tonight they have been in the run for about month and about two hundred yards from them is a pond
1f37a.png
here's to hoping they come back
fl.gif
for ya. Let us know how it goes.

If they find the pond you may have a problem. feed them right at their house Only.. and at 1 month old they are really too young to be on a large pond they can be very vulnerable to snapping turtles and flying predators also.I believe I'd keep them up with a pool to play in till fully feathered and adult size. .

@skylerw Welcome to BYC
x2 see picture of Fred's butt
sad.png
posted yesterday.

Last edited:
Makes sense.  I got the bleeding to stop last night so far have not had to wrap him:fl

8.5 wks old  
*EDIT... he is 4 mos old.

Thank you.

It does make sense.  Got the bleeding stopped last night.  I have dc'd the soaks but continue to apply the Blue Kote.  Thank you.

Thank you.  The bleeding has stopped and I dc'd the soaks.  Is Blue Kote ok to continue using?  Definitely keeping him inside.

:fl for ya.   Let us know how it goes.

x2  see picture of Fred's butt:( posted yesterday.

Glad the bleeding stopped! Hang in there Fred! Your butt is now famous!

*sorry, couldn't resist* :oops:

4 months old? Is Fred from the hatch I met you over??

I'm really worried about the amount of blood Fred has lost. everytime he shakes, fresh blood drips. Are these blood feathers that I have circled? Should I try to pull them?? Still no wound found and this is not at his vent. He's pooping just fine, no blood. @Miss Lydia
@Amiga
@WVduckchick
@Pyxis
@jchny2000
@casportpony

Anyone??
I would put corn starch or flour on that wound asap. I use bag balm to cover and seal a wound too.

I'm new to this I have no idea what I'm doing but would like to ask a question. I have two 3 month old ducks I think perhaps they are both mail one duck if I'm in the garden will chase and bite me but once I sit in a chair is fine and will even let me pick it up and sit it on my lap. It also seems to hate me putting it in it's pen and leaving the garden but my partner has no issues with it. Is there any reason it is doing this?

Back
Top Bottom