The Duck Thread

Lmao. That sounds great!! Definitely going to try this now. Have you had her since she hatched? :)

No just since she was a couple days old my fiance owns a convient store and she was actually wondering around out there lost and its right in front of a major high way and i knew shed never survive so we took her in

@Julie Bird @Miss Lydia @Debs Flock @WVduckchick
@Ren2014 @mischievouslady @jenniferlamar70

And anyone else I might have missed, sorry...

Update on Io and her eyes...

Io is pleased to let everyone who wished her well that her eyes are completely better now!!
celebrate.gif

She is back to her happy, easygoing ducky self!
big_smile.png

Irrigated her eyes with saline, then Vetericyn rinse, Ciprofloxacin eye drops and Terramycin/Erythromycin ointment treatments 3x per day fixed her up quick... just a bit of advice for anyone that might have an eye issue, plenty of flushes of the eyes is one of the best things you can do... Io was turning her head into the flushes by day 2...
smile.png

Oh, and we also found her hidden nest! Had to move it due to safety issues, but she was so adorable sitting there... looks like she might have broke her broodiness by moving but felt that was better than leaving her out unprotected...

@RavynFallen you are an amazing Dr when it comes to treating my sweet little Io. She is unbelievable. Thank you for helping her. Just look at the little marshmallow in the grasses with her eggs. In the middle grass pic she's all puffed up just sitting there all cozy and comfy. But!! I am glad you made some adjustments to her location to keep her safe. Her safety and the rest of your puffs' safety is #1.

And this is a statement for everyone else on here that sees Io in these pictures. I know I am always repeating myself but it bears such: Here GOES:

Look at IO's ROUND BODY AND ORANGE WEBS IN THE GRASS OF WHERE SHE STANDS. NOTE HER. SHE IS SO CUTE AND IS PURPOSELY POSING THAT WAY FOR MY BENEFIT. HER FACE OR HEAD IS TURNED SIDEWAYS SO THAT YOU CAN SEE HER BILL AND PROFILE. IS THAT CUTE OR WHAT?! I NOTICE THE PARTS OF THE BURD FIRST THEN THE WHOLE BURD AND I CANNOT HANDLE IT.

And how cute is it that she's in that brown puddle? Really????

Last edited:
Don't toss duck eggs if you have dogs feed them the extras. My dogs love them I cook them or steam them for them that way they don't associate them with the real egg they see. Baked goods are awesome with duck eggs.

I only know of 1 person who eats duck eggs besides us and i give them away to him. I don't advertise though.
The dogs do get an egg a day. I have used them in baking goods but my DH and other family members freak out if I tell them. I don't know why folks have such a dis like for duck eggs. Some won't even try them.

I scramble my extra duck eggs and mix them with their dry food. Our dogs love it. Not every day though. Also, if you have not tried them, they make great waffles and fluffy pancakes.

We found it impossible to sell duck eggs here in West Texas (your basic meat and potatoes part of the state) so donate them to a local food pantry. Once the folks got them and got over the concept of cute little ducklings they now are asking for the duck eggs over the chicken eggs we donate.
Gees,,, I didn't think of the local food pantry. I will give them a shout. I have the same problem with my family and duck eggs. They won't eat them for nothing.

So my husband came home yesterday with four grown chickens to add to our own four chickens to help meet the demand of chicken eggs. I did a count,and now with the added chickens, I have 26 birds in my little backyard! It's just way too many.

So I'm looking at downsizing my flock for the sake of my yard and overcrowding the birds. And since no one cares for duck eggs, it's all ducks that will have to go
sad.png
My mallard sisters and their six week old brood of seven (four boys, three girls), Potato and mallard drake, Pteroducktyl the chocolate runner girl and Duckasaurus the fawn/white runner girl are all probably going to have to go, one way or the other
sad.png

I would like to rehome at least the two runners, since they are good laying birds. The mallards and mutt babies may just have to be culled. My husband said he has had enough of my "feelings" and attachments and not wanting to butcher ducks. Sigh.

I'm waiting to hear back if his parents want to take any of the ducks. If not, I am in northwest ohio if anyone wants ducks lol.
hugs.gif

She loves to snuggle her nose and hide it
love.gif

Io is pleased to let everyone who wished her well that her eyes are completely better now!!
celebrate.gif

big_smile.png

Irrigated her eyes with saline, then Vetericyn rinse, Ciprofloxacin eye drops and Terramycin/Erythromycin ointment treatments 3x per day fixed her up quick... just a bit of advice for anyone that might have an eye issue, plenty of flushes of the eyes is one of the best things you can do... Io was turning her head into the flushes by day 2...
smile.png

Oh, and we also found her hidden nest! Had to move it due to safety issues, but she was so adorable sitting there... looks like she might have broke her broodiness by moving but felt that was better than leaving her out unprotected...

wee.gif
So happy to hear this. Great job taking care of her
thumbsup.gif

Yea some get alot of the red some dont shes only couple months old and shes started to change to kinda a dark orange color around the face but idk if shel get the red or not but shes a great duck she stays indoors with us and is so spoiled shes really attached to my 4 year old daughter follows get everywhere even gets up in the bed with her to cuddle
How precious!

So we have diapers before that she grew out of but iv ordered another from etsy just waitin on ut so she hasnt wore a diaper in weeks but tge thing about her is shes always beeb indoors since a couple days old and she has a corner in the living room with a bed and some pads and she mostly stays over there or goes over there she has accicents some on the floor but really she does good and at night she sleeps over there all night with a night light the most provs we have is the fuzzy feathers going everywhre everytime she flaps her wings lol so I vacume my hard wood floors everyday but shes so spoiled to being inside when we go outside she goes right back in and looks at me from the door but we live in sc so it's really hot she likes to lay by the air vent in the floor
That is hilarious!

No just since she was a couple days old my fiance owns a convient store and she was actually wondering around out there lost and its right in front of a major high way and i knew shed never survive so we took her in
Aww she is so lucky you found her!! Make sure you update. I'd love to hear how things go as she grows!!
smile.png
X2 What a blessing for her and your daughter.

That's great I think I'll get some for sure!! Are their multiple sizes or is it adjustable? Our duckling is little now but I know will grow quickly..
smile.png
My baby diapers come in multiple sizes, each size adjusts to fit during that period. All the sizing information is in the listing details, but it can be a little confusing so don't hesitate to ask me if you need help or clarification =) I also do Hatch to Feathers sets that include all the sizes you need depending on your breed. If she's over a week old your H2F would be a custom set but we can work it out through message if you're interested.

@RavynFallen
 you are an amazing Dr when it comes to treating my sweet little Io.  She is unbelievable.  Thank you for helping her.  Just look at the little marshmallow in the grasses with her eggs.  In the middle grass pic she's all puffed up just sitting there all cozy and comfy.  But!!  I am glad you made some adjustments to her location to keep her safe.  Her safety and the rest of your puffs' safety is #1.  

And this is a statement for everyone else on here that sees Io in these pictures.  I know I am always repeating myself but it bears such:  Here GOES:

Look at IO's ROUND BODY AND ORANGE WEBS IN THE GRASS OF WHERE SHE STANDS.  NOTE HER.  SHE IS SO CUTE AND IS PURPOSELY POSING THAT WAY FOR MY BENEFIT.  HER FACE OR HEAD IS TURNED SIDEWAYS SO THAT YOU CAN SEE HER BILL AND PROFILE.  IS THAT CUTE OR WHAT?! I NOTICE THE PARTS OF THE BURD FIRST THEN THE WHOLE BURD AND I CANNOT HANDLE IT.

And how cute is it that she's in that brown puddle?  Really????

@RavynFallen you really are amazing. Your just to humble to admit it but you have helped so many people on here and you never judge anyone. Your like the mother Theresa of ducks lol. I'm so glad we get to have you around. :) again I'm so glad your little ducky is feeling better. She is adorable on her nest. She looks pretty well hidden lol. :)

My baby diapers come in multiple sizes, each size adjusts to fit during that period. All the sizing information is in the listing details, but it can be a little confusing so don't hesitate to ask me if you need help or clarification =) I also do Hatch to Feathers sets that include all the sizes you need depending on your breed. If she's over a week old your H2F would be a custom set but we can work it out through message if you're interested.

I will definitely be looking into it. I may wait a month or so though because she is almost her full size. She is growing so fast I hate to buy one and then not have it fit the week after lol. :)

@RavynFallen
 you are an amazing Dr when it comes to treating my sweet little Io.  She is unbelievable.  Thank you for helping her.  Just look at the little marshmallow in the grasses with her eggs.  In the middle grass pic she's all puffed up just sitting there all cozy and comfy.  But!!  I am glad you made some adjustments to her location to keep her safe.  Her safety and the rest of your puffs' safety is #1.  

And this is a statement for everyone else on here that sees Io in these pictures.  I know I am always repeating myself but it bears such:  Here GOES:

Look at IO's ROUND BODY AND ORANGE WEBS IN THE GRASS OF WHERE SHE STANDS.  NOTE HER.  SHE IS SO CUTE AND IS PURPOSELY POSING THAT WAY FOR MY BENEFIT.  HER FACE OR HEAD IS TURNED SIDEWAYS SO THAT YOU CAN SEE HER BILL AND PROFILE.  IS THAT CUTE OR WHAT?! I NOTICE THE PARTS OF THE BURD FIRST THEN THE WHOLE BURD AND I CANNOT HANDLE IT.

And how cute is it that she's in that brown puddle?  Really????

:hugs :hugs

I don't think anyone ever minds you repeating anything, JB... your exuberant love of all things duck and burd is just refreshing... never change, my friend... and hope one day you can welcome your own duck(s) to your home... :)

@RavynFallen you really are amazing. Your just to humble to admit it but you have helped so many people on here and you never judge anyone. Your like the mother Theresa of ducks lol. I'm so glad we get to have you around. :) again I'm so glad your little ducky is feeling better. She is adorable on her nest. She looks pretty well hidden lol. :)
I will definitely be looking into it. I may wait a month or so though because she is almost her full size. She is growing so fast I hate to buy one and then not have it fit the week after lol. :)

I am just lucky in many ways... grew up a simple country girl and never forgot my roots... got a great education in Animal Husbandry, Biology, and Housing... have access to a lot of different useful meds and supplies... and I know when I am completely out of my depth...

Many here have much more experience than I do, and/or knowledge with more specific things than me... I just help when I feel I can... pay it forward...

Besides, I do admit I don't get along with every single person I cross paths with... I just try to stay civil when possible... :D

celebrate.gif

big_smile.png

smile.png

Such great news @RavynFallen she is such an adorable little lady.. And has a wonderful care giver/taker. Very happy for you both.

I have a question: why does my Runner come over to me and stand there "bowing" quickly again and again? I thought she was trying to scare me away but when they scare the chickens away they put their head down and run, but that's not what she's doing with me.

Is she bobbing her head repeatedly and quacking softly? If so then that would mean she wants to go somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom