The Duck Thread

Hey every one, so I'm supposedly a duck lover now...Well this is right
wee.gif
and I'm loving it. Thanks for inviting me here Zako (much appreciated).
You have all probably seen this but here are my ducks-

P.S Are you looking to get more ducks or drakes?Because I would advise that you do so you could get adorable ducklings!!!

I'm in need if some assistance please.

I have a swim pool for my ducks now but still have a small tub of fresh clean water for them to drink from but oooh nooo will they drink from it. nup they just dirty it in literally seconds. When I empty it out there is either mud or poo at the bottom. (why one earth are they pooing in it?). How can I battle this?

Also when I clean it out then refill it there is almost like an oily film left on top of the water, it not from my water as the hens water is fine it only happens with the ducks. Is this O.K?

Hope Anyone Can Help Me, Thanks.

I'm in need if some assistance please.

I have a swim pool for my ducks now but still have a small tub of fresh clean water for them to drink from but oooh nooo will they drink from it. nup they just dirty it in literally seconds. When I empty it out there is either mud or poo at the bottom. (why one earth are they pooing in it?). How can I battle this?

Also when I clean it out then refill it there is almost like an oily film left on top of the water, it not from my water as the hens water is fine it only happens with the ducks. Is this O.K?

Hope Anyone Can Help Me, Thanks.
Well, on the bright side, I would say you have very normal ducks.
hide.gif

Ahem. Something that will reduce the poo situation in the drink water is to use a container that is a little taller (duck shoulder height), and with a slightly smaller diameter - about duck neck length. I find stew pots work great.

They are flat bottomed, straight-sided, deep enough for head wash, and for the most part, the ducks do not climb in. They do fix the water with mud and plant material. That's S.O.P. around here. But not poop. Usually. I cannot remember the last time they pooped in their drinking water pot.

Ducks do have oil on their feathers so I think you may be seeing some of that.

Last edited:
Well, on the bright side, I would say you have very normal ducks.
hide.gif

Ahem. Something that will reduce the poo situation in the drink water is to use a container that is a little taller (duck shoulder height), and with a slightly smaller diameter - about duck neck length. I find stew pots work great.

They are flat bottomed, straight-sided, deep enough for head wash, and for the most part, the ducks do not climb in. They do fix the water with mud and plant material. That's S.O.P. around here. But not poop. Usually. I cannot remember the last time they pooped in their drinking water pot.
Normal ahah define normal.lol Thanks a lot Amiga, so my solution to this is a taller thinner container-got it.
So is the oily film a "normal" thing for ducks.
Also I see my ducks drinking from the pool ( which I know they poo in ) so why bother with another drinking container?

Also I see my ducks drinking from the pool ( which I know they poo in ) so why bother with another drinking container?
I have asked myself this question any number of times. My general approach is to err on the side of caution, and do things that don't take whole bunches of extra effort but might make a slight positive difference. Offering drinking water with less poo in it is that kind of thing for me. Just reduces to total bacterial load in what they drink during the course of the day.

Back
Top Bottom