The Duck Thread

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ZakoHero, Jan 17, 2013.

1. City farm

City farm Overrun With Chickens

Jul 6, 2012
    Mesa, Arizona U.S.A.

Do they all get along?? Please tell us more.. How much space??

2. 5DuckFarm

5DuckFarm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2014
    NJ

Well currently we have 4 ducks living in 1 60 sq ft cage (1 male, 3 females) and then the mom and her ducklings in a separate cage about half the size. But they have around 8 acres to roam around.

3. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

Ren2014
    It's a small pound pump, submersible, you can find them at Home Depot for $60 and up. The pump sits in the pool and it's outlet hose runs into the bottom of a 9 gallon bucket with a spout. The hose is held in place with 3-4 inches of pea gravel, followed by layer after layer of washable furnace filter cut to size and topped off with 3-4 inches more pea gravel. The bucket sits above the pool and is tilted so the clean water goes where I want it. The trick apparently is waiting for bacteria to take up residence in the media, and it will brake the organics down while the rocks etc filter large debris. Check out farmnatters.blogspot.ca for a better version, or google DIY duck pound filters.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Ugly but seems to work, 3 days to build up bacteria colony apparently. Working well, one issue to solve is when the ducks get rowdy they sometimes bump the pump and I have to unplug it and start it up again, not a big deal. Also check out runnerduck.com for better ideas.

1 person likes this.
  4. blue speckles

blue speckles Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2014
    houston
    I am an advid fan of ducks. ...we have 7....my mallard female is setting on a clutch of eggs as I type....I am very pleased. My question is how do you tell the difference between a call duck and a swedish duck? I have 1 drake and 2 females that are black and white. ..what other difference should be noticeable.

5. KuroKitsune

KuroKitsune Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2013
    Kansas
    call ducks are tiny only 2 pounds where swede's are 7-8 pounds

6. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Overrun With Chickens

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    Here are my new additions. When can I expect feathers? They are about the3 weeks.
    [​IMG]

7. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Overrun With Chickens

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    [​IMG]

Second duckling

8. wildsam

wildsam Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2012
    Radisson, NW Wisconsin
    Seems like scovies to me. You should start seeing feathers in the next couple of weeks. Although I noticed with mine that they feather a bit slower than other duck breeds we have.
    Cute fuzzies!

9. City farm

City farm Overrun With Chickens

Jul 6, 2012
    Mesa, Arizona U.S.A.

So cute.. Our Swedish ducks are almost 2 months.. The wing feathers are noticeable, but not grown completely.. Enjoy the baby stage..

10. FowlPrincess

FowlPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2014
    Sebastopol, CA
    What a beautiful duck! I have 2 magpies but they are from hatcheries. The markings are all over the place. :). If you know of anyone willing to sell some hatching eggs, please let me know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by