The Duck Thread

Oh how precious... Love your photo... Can you hand feed her, does she follow you around & do you have other ducks?

Thanks! She would definetely let me hand feed her, but I don't. She can't follow me around because of her limp. I have 4 other adults ducks and 3 ducklings.

Do they all get along?? Please tell us more.. How much space??

Do they all get along?? Please tell us more.. How much space??

Well currently we have 4 ducks living in 1 60 sq ft cage (1 male, 3 females) and then the mom and her ducklings in a separate cage about half the size. But they have around 8 acres to roam around.

Ren2014
It's a small pound pump, submersible, you can find them at Home Depot for $60 and up. The pump sits in the pool and it's outlet hose runs into the bottom of a 9 gallon bucket with a spout. The hose is held in place with 3-4 inches of pea gravel, followed by layer after layer of washable furnace filter cut to size and topped off with 3-4 inches more pea gravel. The bucket sits above the pool and is tilted so the clean water goes where I want it. The trick apparently is waiting for bacteria to take up residence in the media, and it will brake the organics down while the rocks etc filter large debris. Check out farmnatters.blogspot.ca for a better version, or google DIY duck pound filters.

Ugly but seems to work, 3 days to build up bacteria colony apparently. Working well, one issue to solve is when the ducks get rowdy they sometimes bump the pump and I have to unplug it and start it up again, not a big deal. Also check out runnerduck.com for better ideas.

I am an advid fan of ducks. ...we have 7....my mallard female is setting on a clutch of eggs as I type....I am very pleased. My question is how do you tell the difference between a call duck and a swedish duck? I have 1 drake and 2 females that are black and white. ..what other difference should be noticeable.

I am an advid fan of ducks. ...we have 7....my mallard female is setting on a clutch of eggs as I type....I am very pleased. My question is how do you tell the difference between a call duck and a swedish duck? I have 1 drake and 2 females that are black and white. ..what other difference should be noticeable.
call ducks are tiny only 2 pounds where swede's are 7-8 pounds

What a beautiful duck! I have 2 magpies but they are from hatcheries. The markings are all over the place. :). If you know of anyone willing to sell some hatching eggs, please let me know.

Back
Top Bottom