The Duck Thread

I gotta correct here: my big boy does fly and he and his sis like swimming a lot! Just not sure where I should house mine now as they seem to grow tired of their current room mates (Rouens) and pick on almost everyone else too. I threatened them to put them in with the geese if they don't stop. Lol. Jk

Gonna have to switch things around a bit and maybe put them in with another group. We'll see.

Okay, I was being general about things. I will henceforth put that in since it does not seem to be understood……. I thought that would be clear from my comments about ducks being fickle, etc.

Fascinating that your male flies. Most seem far too heavy to fly. Does yours work out and stay in shape or what? I'm just kidding!

Do you not like your geese? Threatening them with putting the ducks in with them !
wink.png

The wind is really really bad here in the UK so a friend built me a shelter for the ducks ready for the winter!
Has anyone else got a shelter and do the ducks use it?

My ducks have a large wooden box, about 3 feet by 3 feet in their pen. It's very windy here—22 mph (35km) per hour right now. My ducks are shut out of their pen to encourage foraging, so they are now sitting in a small sheltered area next to their pen.
smile.png

So, yes, they use the shelter all the time in the wind and have to be forced to leave it.

Oh that's reassuring! :)
I was worried they were going to blow away in the wind today and I spent a lot of money on the wood to build it!
I want to make sure my duckies are warm,safe and snug!

Here's a picture of the ducks next to the pen and shelter. They usually sit in the small area to the left when they can't get in the pen—the areas had a cover over it earlier. Mostly, if they can't get into the pen or the shelter, they would lie under the bushes in my windbreak. About a month ago, they seemed to stop doing that and just stay in the shelters instead. Not sure why.

The picture above is the "two headed" duck effect when trying to photograph a group of ducks!
They look better now that they are approaching the end of molting!

Another example of "all ducks are different", I had one hen that would slip into a small hole under a shed to lay eggs and another that hid under a different shed and tried to hatch eggs. I never would have thought ducks would do this, especially since the hole the one was laying eggs in was just a rabbit hole, barely bigger than the duck. You just never know.

Okay, I was being general about things.  I will henceforth put that in since it does not seem to be understood…….  I thought that would be clear from my comments about ducks being fickle, etc.  

Fascinating that your male flies.  Most seem far too heavy to fly.  Does yours work out and stay in shape or what?  I'm just kidding!

Do you not like your geese?  Threatening them with putting the ducks in with them !      ;)  

Lol. He is still young, only a few months old now so he is still light and can fly, although not very high as his sister. But she is spoiled rotten and the geese are the only ones not taking their picking but pick back at them. Thus the threat to her ;) we do love all our animals but she is pushing it sometimes.

Sorry, my app has a mind of its own and sometimes won't even let me spell out one word before booting me out. Gets annoying. Posts by itself that way. Having that problem for a few weeks now....

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom