The Duck Thread

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ZakoHero, Jan 17, 2013.

1. FelicitysFarm

FelicitysFarm Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2014
    Tucson, Az
    [​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]Does anyone else live in Tucson Arizona? I have 5 ducklings but the space I have is only big enough for two to three full grown ducks. Some may have to go if i cannot get a pen. They are free range by day and in a 10 square foot coop at night. Maybe I'm wrong and they can handle the small coop during nights only.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  2. K Epp

K Epp Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2012
    North Georgia
    If all they do is sleep I think they would be fine in there. I'm not sure about temperature in your area I imagine hot. Would they over heat in a closed up house? My 5 ducks and goose sleep in a pile in the barn. They have plenty if room, but still stay close together.

3. LittleBlu

LittleBlu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2014
    Oakhurst, Ca
    Hey I have a question. What is happening when a duck grabs on to something then like waddles in place holding it?

4. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

Just guessing... Excitement.

5. LittleBlu

Jul 9, 2014
    Oakhurst, Ca
    My mother thought it might have been mating? But I'm supposed to have two females... I've never seen it before

6. hennible

They seem to nibble at each other's necks during mating or even during pre-mating courting. Sometimes when you only have girls one will start acting a little more male... Maybe your moms right... They also seem to bob their heads (a lot) back-and-forth when they are courting each other

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  7. hennible

By the way what was the duck grabbing?

8. LittleBlu

Jul 9, 2014
    Oakhurst, Ca
    She grabbed my headband then held it and waddled. They have always bobbed their heads their entire life so I'm not exactly sure if there's a difference?

9. LittleBlu

Jul 9, 2014
    Oakhurst, Ca
    It was not on my head though

10. hennible

That's interesting... Hope someone has more insight... The bobbing just seems " excessive " when they flirt... And that's just my perspective on it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by