The Duck Thread

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ZakoHero, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia "I Believe" Premium Member

That will be a nice flock. and lovely to look at.

2. wildsam

wildsam Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2012
    Radisson, NW Wisconsin
    Oh oh, suck math has taken root! [​IMG]lol
    We only had a handful too, then it exploded! Now we got about 58 ducks and 7 different breeds. Oh boy, lots of work but lots of fun too! Just the strategic handling and planning is a bit... let's just say... on and off?! Lol

3. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX

Aww, thank you. Now time to bundle up and get ready for the rain for the next few days

My blue runner reminds me of a dinosaur. Waiting is always so hard and I was counting down the days when my arrived. They do make great birthday presents though! I would love to see how your Cayuga turns out! I really wanted one but Metzer called me the day mine were suppose to ship and they were out of females. That's how I ended up with my dawn and white runner.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  4. PotatoWaffles

PotatoWaffles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2014
    Northwest Ohio
    So I have a question. Does anyone know what a male mallard's courting behavior looks like? I noticed Potato doing this puzzling behavior where he jerks his head straight down and kinda slaps his head and neck on the ground and then flaps his wings. It's like when they dunk their heads in the water, but instead it's on the muddy ground. Just curious.

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    My Runners do that when they are feeling attractive.

6. PotatoWaffles

Oct 10, 2014
    Northwest Ohio
    Lol I wondered if that was what it was about. My fiancé thought that he was trying to clean himself in mud since the kiddie pool hasn't been very full lately, so he filled it up all the way and herded him in the water, but I'm not so sure that's the reason.

7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    After Elfie comes over for hugs, she'll trot off and pantomime washing up, flip her wingtips over her back a bit, then give the I'm Okay wing-flap.

8. minmin1258

minmin1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

How is everyone's flocks fairing this cold weather? I'm in WV getting snow right now with very cold temps. Didn't leave the ducks out of their small pen today because I was worried they'd get frost bit in the snow. Just gave gem fresh water, a cup or two of millworms and some grain (other than their daily feed). I hope they are ok out there!
    Is there any part of docks hat are more susceptible to frost bite than others?

9. attimus

attimus Chillin' With My Peeps

Barely any rain here now but when things were trying to freeze my mallards were in the pond as long as there was daylight. If not longer.

10. PotatoWaffles

Oct 10, 2014
    Northwest Ohio
    We got a good amount of snowfall the other night, so today I shoveled some snow out of the outside pen to give my ducks somewhere to walk and access to their pool. Then I shepherded them outside so I could clean their inside pen. I had barely gotten started when those two crazy ducks came bursting back inside and flapping and quacking. Waffles just sat in her water dish and watched me work. So I herded them back outside and finished up. Then they didn't want to go back inside. Sigh, so I would say my ducks are getting along fine this winter, as indecisive as ever, lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by