The Duck Thread

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ZakoHero, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia "I Believe" Premium Member

It's flirting mine do it to the drakes.

2. jtn42248

jtn42248 Overrun With Chickens

Thanks. I did put 29 Cayuga eggs in the incubator as of this a.m. Out of the 50+ eggs laid over the past week these were the ones laid in nest as opposed to those just dropped around the pen. I am only guessing that if they put them in a nest they would sit on them if they went broody. But...what do I know? Anyway, they have been mating like rabbits so I am guessing that at least some of them are fertile. Hopefully they will hatch. If I even end up with just two out of 29 I will be happy. Hopefully not just one as then I would have to go out and buy a little duckling buddy. Thanks for the advice. Especially the info about the extra day...makes a lot of sence. I will post more as things develop.

3. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Actually they are probably collecting those eggs, see ducks will collect eggs, just like you or I, until they have enough to hatch at one time. They do this so that they all arrive together, if they didn't each egg would have a different due date. I don't know the exact time frame of collecting but I would think after a few days if they haven't planted there behinds on that nest permanently then they aren't ready yet. But if you keep taken them away this will discourage them from sitting and they could end up moving to another location to avoid you from stealing there eggs. LOL ducks aren't so dumb...

Perhaps you can put fake eggs in that nest to see if she eventually sits, otherwise, be prepared to follow her around the yard trying to find her new nest. LOL..

One way you can tell if she's preparing a nest to sit on is by the way the eggs are, ducks like to bury there eggs before they leave the nest, if they aren't buried then she's not ready but if they are slightly buried, that's her preparing.. They bury the eggs so that predators don't find and eat them.

4. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

Well that explains why my ducks are burying their eggs...

5. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    LOL, you got a duck preparing???

6. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    Either that or she thinks she's a mama gator...? :p

7. Smurfbrew

Smurfbrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2014
    Nebraska
    My hubby calls that the sexy duck dance. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

She has stopped burying them as I have been stealing all of them... I just set 8 eggs in the bator... I had no idea why she was burying them. It's a little cold still for her to be trying to brood babies.

9. attimus

attimus Chillin' With My Peeps

My ducks were nesting like two months ago. Crazy birds have no idea what time of year it is. Actually what got me started on byc :)

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  10. ChickyChick2

ChickyChick2 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Hi Duck Lovers! I would like to get some ducks this summer for our suburban backyard to help with pest control. Seeing as we are not handy AT ALL, does anyone have any suggestions on where I can buy or create a safe duck house and run with minimal building involved?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by