The Duck Thread

Thank you. It was almost 70 yesterday and will be 70 today! In so excited!!! The girls are going outside for good since it is only suppose to get down to the 50's for the next few days. Yay!!! Time to clean out my garage now it's full of feathers and shavings. Now I'm planing on expanding the duck house so they won't be too packed in there. I think the hubby is kinda excited about the new duck since she is already laying eggs and is 8 months old. Any suggestions on how to introduce them? Since it is only one new duck I feel bad keeping her by herself.
Do you have a way of fencing in a small area for a couple days just till everyone gets use to the new kid on the block? as long as she can be with them through fencing she'll not be lonely but you just can't bring her in and let the others see her as "THE" intruder lol and they will. Usually it only takes 2-5 days before everyone is use to each other. Depends on the ducks of course.

Do you have a way of fencing in a small area for a couple days just till everyone gets use to the new kid on the block? as long as she can be with them through fencing she'll not be lonely but you just can't bring her in and let the others see her as "THE" intruder lol and they will. Usually it only takes 2-5 days before everyone is use to each other. Depends on the ducks of course.

Yes, I have a temporary fence I can put up and that isn't an issue during the day, it's at night that I'm concerned about. I don't know how to fence off an area in the coop. I could staple up the plastic fencing but I'm not sure how well it will hold. The only other thing I have is a cat carrier but she won't be able to stand.

Last edited:
Yes, I have a temporary fence I can put up and that isn't an issue during the day, it's at night that I'm concerned about. I don't know how to fence off an area in the coop. I could staple up the plastic fencing but I'm not sure how well it will hold. The only other thing I have is a cat carrier but she won't be able to stand.
I've used a dog carrier for over night, but it was large enough they could stand in I just sat it inside the coop for a couple days till everyone got use to each other How about anyone you know might have one you can borrow? they hose out real well too. lol Or if your girls now sleep in the garage what are they in? maybe you could use it for over night till they all got use to each other then she would only be separated at night for a while .

I've used a dog carrier  for over night, but it was large enough they could stand in I just sat it inside the coop for a couple days till everyone got use to each other  How about anyone you know might have one you can borrow? they hose out real well too. lol  Or if your girls now sleep in the garage what are they in? maybe you could use it for over night till they all got use to each other then she would only be separated at night for a while .

If she will be okay alone overnight I might just keep her in the garage. It's a kid pool with a fence around it. Everyone I know has big dog crates that won't fit. I may try to see how secure I can do the temp fencing in the coop. If it is secure I will put her in but if not then I have a plan b and will bring her in.

If she will be okay alone overnight I might just keep her in the garage. It's a kid pool with a fence around it. Everyone I know has big dog crates that won't fit. I may try to see how secure I can do the temp fencing in the coop. If it is secure I will put her in but if not then I have a plan b and will bring her in.
I think she'd be fine over night since it will be dark they will all settle down her in the garage your girls outside. or inside the coop if you can secure it good. Hopefully you'll only have to do this for less than a week at most. Look forward to seeing your new girl.

Last edited:
A quick question to all you duck gurus out there. In the morning I will be placing 20-30 Cayuga eggs in the incubator. Hopefully they are fertilized as my ducks have been mating regularly for the past few weeks. The eggs I have set aside to incubate are those they have laid in nests as opposed to those just dropped on the ground. The oldest of the eggs is 5 days old.

My question is, after reading a bunch of stuff on incubating duck eggs, there seems to be a difference of opinion about what to do after day 25. Some sources say to remove them from the auto-turner and place them on their sides turning them at least 3 times a day for the last three days of incubating. Other sources say to do the same but to NOT turn them once being places on their sides for the final three days of incubating.

So, which is it? Days 25-28 turn them three times a day or not?

Thanks in advance. God willing, I should have at least a few new ducklings between March 5 and 8.

A quick question to all you duck gurus out there. In the morning I will be placing 20-30 Cayuga eggs in the incubator. Hopefully they are fertilized as my ducks have been mating regularly for the past few weeks. The eggs I have set aside to incubate are those they have laid in nests as opposed to those just dropped on the ground. The oldest of the eggs is 5 days old.

My question is, after reading a bunch of stuff on incubating duck eggs, there seems to be a difference of opinion about what to do after day 25. Some sources say to remove them from the auto-turner and place them on their sides turning them at least 3 times a day for the last three days of incubating. Other sources say to do the same but to NOT turn them once being places on their sides for the final three days of incubating.

So, which is it? Days 25-28 turn them three times a day or not?

Thanks in advance. God willing, I should have at least a few new ducklings between March 5 and 8.

Take them Off Four days before there due date, have the larger end slightly Higher then the smaller end, continue to treat them as normal but do not Lock them down. The reason for this, I have found it helps with upside downers because you are giving them that Extra day to get into the correct position. Three days before hatching day, do not turn them. at all, just sit on your hands and watch nature take its course.. If you continue to turn them, they are going to get into the wrong position causing them to be upside down, or sidewards, or twisted up in that shell..you'll end up with more problems then need too.

So Four days before hatching day take them off the turner lay them with the large end slightly higher, if you were spraying them, continue to do so, if not let just leave them, don't raise that humidity yet though.. then three days before hatching day, lock them down. Raise that humidity..

Good luck..

Back
Top Bottom