The Duck Thread

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ZakoHero, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Kaessa

Kaessa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2015
    Fruita, CO
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia "I Believe" Premium Member

Are you going to put hardware cloth over the walls to keep our small preds like mink and weasel which could get right through those slats.

3. City farm

City farm Overrun With Chickens

Jul 6, 2012
    Mesa, Arizona U.S.A.

I think those are gorgeous! Niw i want a duck that lays blue or green egg's

4. City farm

City farm Overrun With Chickens

Jul 6, 2012
    Mesa, Arizona U.S.A.
    Here is the difference between a chicken egg, & a duck egg. our duck egg yolk is much richer in color.
    [​IMG]

5. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    This gets me so excited for duck eggs! Do you cook them the same or just bake with them?

6. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    You would be SURPRISE on what ducks will do in the winter time. I have a couple of girls laying but they are not ready to sit yet. but last year I had one Bury herself in the dead winter, two feet of snow all around her AND she was covered with snow but she had a NICE warm nest underneath her. She cleared a spot out got to the ground and planted herself. LOL.

They will also bury the eggs to keep them warm after they have been sitting for a while so that they can take a break get something to eat and drink. So you have Several reason a duck does before getting off that nest and wandering away.

7. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    LOL, I hear you, they are suppose to lay during the fall and spring but mine too are WAY off schedule. However, mine are youngsters so I'm wondering if this may have something to do with it. I have heard the heating lamps will throw off there schedule. Do you have any heating lamps going? I have two..

8. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Where did you get those pallets? I'm looking for some so that my chickens are off the ground.

9. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    I get my off the free section on Craigslist.

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia "I Believe" Premium Member

In other words you live up to your BYC name except you make it needed junk [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by