The Duck Thread

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ZakoHero, Jan 17, 2013.

1. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

I have had a few funny looks when I've asked "want duck eggs?" My neighbour (a farmer) was very excited about them though.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I offered some to a person recently, and they were grossed out at the idea. The person before was extremely happy for the offer. Ya never know.

3. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    Who would get grossed out at a duck egg? Especially if they eat chicken eggs!

4. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Amykins, I just chalk it up to the inexplicable nature of human beings. Some folks cherish the idea of eating duck eggs, some folks choke at the thought. Culture. Maybe Disney has something to do with it. [​IMG]

5. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    I don't get it but when I tell people I have ducks they ask why. When I say for eggs they ask what on earth you do with them. I eat them, like a chicken egg. My friend can't wait to get some ever since they bought some at the farmers market. I find most people don't like anything that is different. My family is a bit grossed out that now they will be fertile. Before they were okay, now it seems wrong.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  6. hennible

People are funny about food. There's no logic... Bugs are nutritious, will I eat them?... No

7. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    What no bugs?!? Where is the fun in that?

8. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I have been through a similar thing here - folks who used to want the eggs before we had a drake don't want them any more. sigh.

I learned recently that one can order cricket flour online.

In my life I have discovered there are some things I don't think I would ever do, but I am not going to make any bold pronouncements about what I would or would not ever eat.

There are some very unlikely items, though. [​IMG]

9. hennible

Nope can't do it... Maybe in something... Not like a hand full of crickets it's to much for me I think...

10. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    This is gonna sound nuts, but...it's actually kinda good. [​IMG]

My friend is big on the whole sustainable foods thing, and bugs are pretty darn sustainable, so she got some of the flour and made pancakes with it. They were delicious!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by