The Duck Thread

So today me, my sister, my dad, and my mom all ate lunch together after church and I made bread pudding and I made it with duck eggs. It was sooo good! I let my family eat it all before I broke the news that it was duck eggs instead of chicken eggs because my mom and sister are weird about that stuff. But anyways when I told them my dad just said "Cool" and kept eating his. My sister yelled "What!", and my mom almost puked! I replied "Now really, What is the big deal! An egg is an egg!" I used 3 frozen call duck eggs because I couldnt hatch them. They were clean and tasted great! My mom was raised in orlando, pittsburgh, and just across the bridge into new jersey. She really isnt it to this "Farm thing" My dad as raised on a farm and my sister and I were both raised on a farm but my mom never liked it. I remember she always hated it when the wind blew and the dairy farm next door had just spread manure. She would complain that it must be illegal and my dad would say it reminded him of his childhood! lol.

I have had a few funny looks when I've asked "want duck eggs?" My neighbour (a farmer) was very excited about them though.

I offered some to a person recently, and they were grossed out at the idea. The person before was extremely happy for the offer. Ya never know.

Who would get grossed out at a duck egg? Especially if they eat chicken eggs!

Amykins, I just chalk it up to the inexplicable nature of human beings. Some folks cherish the idea of eating duck eggs, some folks choke at the thought. Culture. Maybe Disney has something to do with it.
lol.png

Who would get grossed out at a duck egg? Especially if they eat chicken eggs!
I don't get it but when I tell people I have ducks they ask why. When I say for eggs they ask what on earth you do with them. I eat them, like a chicken egg. My friend can't wait to get some ever since they bought some at the farmers market. I find most people don't like anything that is different. My family is a bit grossed out that now they will be fertile. Before they were okay, now it seems wrong.

Last edited:
I have been through a similar thing here - folks who used to want the eggs before we had a drake don't want them any more. sigh.

I learned recently that one can order cricket flour online.

In my life I have discovered there are some things I don't think I would ever do, but I am not going to make any bold pronouncements about what I would or would not ever eat.

There are some very unlikely items, though.
wink.png

I have been through a similar thing here - folks who used to want the eggs before we had a drake don't want them any more. sigh.

I learned recently that one can order cricket flour online.

In my life I have discovered there are some things I don't think I would ever do, but I am not going to make any bold pronouncements about what I would or would not ever eat.

There are some very unlikely items, though.
wink.png

This is gonna sound nuts, but...it's actually kinda good.
hide.gif

My friend is big on the whole sustainable foods thing, and bugs are pretty darn sustainable, so she got some of the flour and made pancakes with it. They were delicious!

Back
Top Bottom