The Duck Thread

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ZakoHero, Jan 17, 2013.

1. jtn42248

jtn42248 Overrun With Chickens

hennible, we are in the same boat. I have 29 Cayuga eggs incubating and it is day 23 and this is my first hatch also. I swear that a couple of them are wiggling and I know that I really can't expect much before day 28-30. So patience...a virtue that I never really learned and am not really fond of right now. Good luck to you.

2. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

Good luck to you also :)

Hands off the incubator is my mantra

1 person likes this.
  3. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    LOL no kidding! When you're at home 24/7 it's even worse, you keep hovering over the bator knowing there won't be anything new to see, but you can't help it!

4. Y-Knot

Y-Knot Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Loma Rica, CA
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is a photo of our newbies. Can't think of names for the male and female WH yet. I put straw in their brooder box at lunch. They seem to find it most intriguing. At least the poop won't be quite so obvious! :)

5. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

Oh that's me...I should get out of the house, that would make things easier.... I do need to pick up starter and more brewers yeast.... Lol

6. PotatoWaffles

PotatoWaffles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2014
    Northwest Ohio
    Well, it's been sort of a sad day. My three ducklings never came from Metzer. My fiancé called, and they said a bunch of people hadn't received their ducks. They shipped them Monday morning, but they hadn't been scanned by the USPS anywhere, so basically there's a bunch of missing baby ducks out there somewhere. They said I should hopefully have them by the end of this week, but all I'm expecting is a box of dead ducklings. There's no way they'll survive much longer if they're still even alive right now.

Also, one of my ducklings, Mr. Presiduck, had a seizure today. That's the second one he's had in the last week or so. We didn't realize that's what it was the first time. I've been doing a little research and I'm not sure what is causing it. It seems unlikely it is a disease, as he is the only duckling seizing. I put a table spoon of Brewers yeast for every cup or two of food, so I don't think its a niacin deficiency. I clean their brooder quite frequently so I don't think its mold or anything like that. He seems okay otherwise, so we're just keeping an eye on him for now.

Buuuuuut on a brighter note, my little minions got some splashy time today, and then had fun crawling all over us as we sat on the couch watching TV. They always seem to find my hoodie strings and try to eat them lol. They are three and a half weeks old, and they look ridiculously dorky as they get their feathers in, haha.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia "I Believe" Premium Member

Aww they are so cute in their dorky stage aren't they. Have you thought of super B complex for your little one having the seizures? might be worth trying for a week or 2 and see if they help. Or try Poultry Nutri drench in their water I really think alot of that product.
    Very sorry about the ducklings I sure hope they find them and hoping for good news too. [​IMG]

8. Nikki816

Nikki816 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    New Holland, Ohio
    [​IMG]
    Ducks are about a month old now, my friend's pekin is a week older. I have 2 magpies and 2 buffs. Although one of my buffs is looking like its buff and white :/

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia "I Believe" Premium Member

They are adorable!

10. 18angovem

18angovem Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2014
    Warren Pennsylvania
    So can ducks go in a garden? I have never tried but would like too......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by