The Duck Thread

Yes. Calm.
Ok it's all good, I'm just overreacting ( first duck hatch ) temps have been steady, (99.4-100.4) so all is likely fine... Thank you.
hennible, we are in the same boat. I have 29 Cayuga eggs incubating and it is day 23 and this is my first hatch also. I swear that a couple of them are wiggling and I know that I really can't expect much before day 28-30. So patience...a virtue that I never really learned and am not really fond of right now. Good luck to you.

Good luck to you also
smile.png

Hands off the incubator is my mantra

LOL no kidding! When you're at home 24/7 it's even worse, you keep hovering over the bator knowing there won't be anything new to see, but you can't help it!

Here is a photo of our newbies. Can't think of names for the male and female WH yet. I put straw in their brooder box at lunch. They seem to find it most intriguing. At least the poop won't be quite so obvious! :)

Well, it's been sort of a sad day. My three ducklings never came from Metzer. My fiancé called, and they said a bunch of people hadn't received their ducks. They shipped them Monday morning, but they hadn't been scanned by the USPS anywhere, so basically there's a bunch of missing baby ducks out there somewhere. They said I should hopefully have them by the end of this week, but all I'm expecting is a box of dead ducklings. There's no way they'll survive much longer if they're still even alive right now.

Also, one of my ducklings, Mr. Presiduck, had a seizure today. That's the second one he's had in the last week or so. We didn't realize that's what it was the first time. I've been doing a little research and I'm not sure what is causing it. It seems unlikely it is a disease, as he is the only duckling seizing. I put a table spoon of Brewers yeast for every cup or two of food, so I don't think its a niacin deficiency. I clean their brooder quite frequently so I don't think its mold or anything like that. He seems okay otherwise, so we're just keeping an eye on him for now.

Buuuuuut on a brighter note, my little minions got some splashy time today, and then had fun crawling all over us as we sat on the couch watching TV. They always seem to find my hoodie strings and try to eat them lol. They are three and a half weeks old, and they look ridiculously dorky as they get their feathers in, haha.

Last edited:
Well, it's been sort of a sad day. My three ducklings never came from Metzer. My fiancé called, and they said a bunch of people hadn't received their ducks. They shipped them Monday morning, but they hadn't been scanned by the USPS anywhere, so basically there's a bunch of missing baby ducks out there somewhere. They said I should hopefully have them by the end of this week, but all I'm expecting is a box of dead ducklings. There's no way they'll survive much longer if they're still even alive right now.

Also, one of my ducklings, Mr. Presiduck, had a seizure today. That's the second one he's had in the last week or so. We didn't realize that's what it was the first time. I've been doing a little research and I'm not sure what is causing it. It seems unlikely it is a disease, as he is the only duckling seizing. I put a table spoon of Brewers yeast for every cup or two of food, so I don't think its a niacin deficiency. I clean their brooder quite frequently so I don't think its mold or anything like that. He seems okay otherwise, so we're just keeping an eye on him for now.

Buuuuuut on a brighter note, my little minions got some splashy time today, and then had fun crawling all over us as we sat on the couch watching TV. They always seem to find my hoodie strings and try to eat them lol. They are three and a half weeks old, and they look ridiculously dorky as they get their feathers in, haha.

Aww they are so cute in their dorky stage aren't they. Have you thought of super B complex for your little one having the seizures? might be worth trying for a week or 2 and see if they help. Or try Poultry Nutri drench in their water I really think alot of that product.
Very sorry about the ducklings I sure hope they find them and hoping for good news too.
hugs.gif

Ducks are about a month old now, my friend's pekin is a week older. I have 2 magpies and 2 buffs. Although one of my buffs is looking like its buff and white :/

Back
Top Bottom