The Duck Thread

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ZakoHero, Jan 17, 2013.

1. PotatoWaffles

PotatoWaffles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2014
    Northwest Ohio
    Well looks like the ducklings are going outside today. Overnight, they punched a good sized hole in their cardboard brooder, so we don't have much of a choice. We will put two heat lamps on them, and they're out of the wind, so I am thinking (hoping) they'll be okay. We are going to partition off a part of the outside pen to get them acclimated with the other two ducks, so wish us luck!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
  2. attimus

attimus Chillin' With My Peeps

In case anyone is curious now or later here's a Swedish black egg in the middle of the clutch. Happy with the color. Her first too.
    [​IMG]

3. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

Neat

4. Darnbunnies

Darnbunnies Chillin' With My Peeps

Pretty clutch. Which breed is the drake?

5. attimus

Ya super excited. Means they'll both be laying too. Although I can't confirm theyve consumated with the drakes(mallards). However the other ones should be good to go so maybe little ducklings soon.

6. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

You can check the eggs to see if they are fertile, crack em open and look for the bullseye :)

7. attimus

Looks like that nest is a bust. Apparently my little mallard girl didn't want to share. I just saw her lay an egg in the middle of my wood stack.
    Here's a better shot of that egg Swedish black egg
    [​IMG]

8. attimus

I really need to band my ducks they look to much alike. It didn't even occur to me until I saw a duck back in the nest that it was the other hen, I checked her nest and it looks like jays got it. So I spread some bedding around to give her some padding on that wood and a little insulation for the eggs that I hope she's planning on laying. Sucks there were about a dozen eggs in that nest.

9. PotatoWaffles

PotatoWaffles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2014
    Northwest Ohio
    Aaaand they're out! They seem fairly happy about it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
  10. jtn42248

jtn42248 Overrun With Chickens

They actually look like they may almost be old enough to not need much in the way of supplemental heat. What are your temperatures like? Maybe just one heat lamp if they will not huddle to much together and end up hurting each other that way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by