The Duck Thread

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ZakoHero, Jan 17, 2013.

1. wafflesandmoe

wafflesandmoe Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2013
    Haha that's alright. I'm just a little worried about time commitment. How much care would you say they need a day?

2. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    Do you want them to be pets and friendly or as lawn art and eggs? Ducks aren't that big of a time commitment per day but the more time you spend with them the friendlier they are. It takes me 5 max to let them out and feed them in the morning. But I always delay and water everyone for a while. In the evenings I refill water, pools, feed and muck their house. So 30 mins or so but again I usually get side track and end up holding everyone for a bit. Takes 3 mins to get them in their house at night if they haven't already gone to bed on their own. I always throw peas in their house for a bedtime treat and tell them to go to bed. If you want to hatch ducklings just figure out what you will do with the extra males (sell or cull). If you can only have so many ducks and can't chance having too many makes ordering it a much better way to go. That way there is no worrying about anything. I have 1 males and 5 females and the ratio seem great for my flock.

1 person likes this.
  3. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

Ducklings in my house, (7 of them) lots of work... Adults outside, very little work, food water, clean house and change pool water every few days.... Not to bad at all but I'm an outdoor yard work person...

1 person likes this.
  4. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

I like the duckling work just fine by the way it's just a few things daily... A bit of a juggling act with all my other fur/feather babies plus my little humans, that all...

5. wafflesandmoe

Aug 10, 2013
    Awesome thanks! So you let them out in their run for most of the day then? What about when they are young and in the brooder?

6. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    My free range my fenced in back yard and they can go in their house at any time but usually don't. When they were inside that was a lot of work! I changed bedding every day and changed water several times a day. I wanted my girls to be nice and tame so I would spend hours with them throughout the day.

1 person likes this.
  7. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For the Birds!! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop

I agree with Miss Lydia. But if you really want to hatch them, would you have any other way to get rid of excess males? Give them away or sell them?

8. PotatoWaffles

PotatoWaffles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2014
    Northwest Ohio
    [​IMG]

I love how hardcore ducklings pass out

9. wafflesandmoe

Aug 10, 2013
    That's the problem, I live in Colorado and I dont know anyone who would take them. I'm also afraid I would get too attachted! But I think I might just incubate half the eggs and buy female ducklings for the other half. I know that might seem crazy, but I really want the experience of Incubating the eggs. However there is the cost factor of the incubator...

10. wafflesandmoe

Aug 10, 2013
    So adorable! They must of played hard haha

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by