The Duck Thread

What breed is your grey one?? They are all beautiful.. Do any of them lay a green egg??
She is a blue runner and I hVent gotten any eggs from these girls yet. My Cayuga lays green eggs though.
I've been really wanting to get some runners one of these days. Your grey one is just absolutely gorgeous!!!! I'm in love!
Thank you. I love my runners and they like to walk into the house looking for treats. They are super friendly and climb all over you for peas.
What's the loudest duck breed?!
1f601.png
Female ducks are loud. My runners talk and scream at me the most but my white layer and welsh harlequin join in too. My Cayuga talks and chatters but doesn't really do the screaming/ack, ack, ack as much. My created drake talks a lot but that doesn't count since it isn't loud.

Id rather be on the safe side too..you can "confine" them with out it being cruel confinment, just make sure they have at least 2-4' square feet per bird inside and if they don't free range or have a dedicated pretator proof run, give em a lil more room, ducks like to run and frolic w/each other especially when they are playing in their water. You should see them at mating time, or when the females are challanging each other, they need a little get-away space
wee.gif

It kills me to see ads or pic online where they have these ducks in cages the size of a nest box or in a crate for their whole life
sad.png
Thanks, saulsberry, you have some details that can be missing from discussion. For example, how many square feet per bird, inside. Holderread recommends - for their outdoor run - 10 sf per bird if they are out on pasture, as he puts it, or 25 sf if not. Ours have a bit more than 10 right now, and they are let out into their own garden areas multiple times per day most days.

I agree sunshine and fresh air are good for all of us, and when the temperatures stay below 15F for days, I go with a more moderate temperature, offer them a chance to stretch their legs outdoors for a few minutes, but I keep their indoor bedding as fresh as possible.

Protection from predators is very important to me. Holderread, again, writes that the average lifespan of a domestic duck is between 3 and 4 years, and that is primarily because of predators, if I recall correctly. Domestic ducks can live to be over ten years old if they are well cared for. Of course, awful unexpected things can happen. But often those things don't happen.

I also want to add that there are extremely conscientious indoor duck people who work very hard to assure their ducks' health is optimal. I have no gripe with them. These ducks most often do get outside time as well.

Last edited:
We got to go outside for a little while yesterday, then it started to rain. I'm sure they would have loved to stay out in the rain, but I wasn't all that keen on it ;) I walk across the yard, they follow. They rooted around and dug in the dirt and leaves. Then they slept all evening! I think I wore them out haha When I squat down, open my arms and say "come on babies", they come waddling for me. So adorable! Melts my heart.
love.gif

We got to go outside for a little while yesterday, then it started to rain. I'm sure they would have loved to stay out in the rain, but I wasn't all that keen on it ;) I walk across the yard, they follow. They rooted around and dug in the dirt and leaves. Then they slept all evening! I think I wore them out haha When I squat down, open my arms and say "come on babies", they come waddling for me. So adorable! Melts my heart. :love
So cute! They are growing!

Sorry for all the edits ya'll, my phone doesnt cooperate with the posting thing...its easier to do this on the computer

Same here. My phone and I are at war to see who's the smartest. So far it's me, but that doesn't stop the autocorrect on my phone from trying to insert all manner of random silliness. It's a sore loser.

Don't know about the loudest of all, but I have a Runner and he LOVES to talk....all the time!  I have three different breeds.  An Indian Runner (well, he's black, anyway,lol), a black and white that we think may be Magpie or at least part-Magpie, and a Khaki Campbell.   The Runner is by far the loudest (first one to start quacking, too),  the Khaki Campbell is definitely the heaviest, and the Magpie has the most personality.  

We got this mix purely by accident. haha  Just decided we wanted ducks with our chicks and went to Horaney's and picked three out as babies.   

Good luck on your decision!  We are gonna need pics!  ;)

Magpie ducks were one of the first breeds I wanted when I started learning about ducks :)

Thanks, saulsberry, you have some details that can be missing from discussion.  For example, how many square feet per bird, inside.  Holderread recommends - for their outdoor run - 10 sf per bird if they are out on pasture, as he puts it, or 25 sf if not.  Ours have a bit more than 10 right now, and they are let out into their own garden areas multiple times per day most days.

I agree sunshine and fresh air are good for all of us, and when the temperatures stay below 15F for days, I go with a more moderate temperature, offer them a chance to stretch their legs outdoors for a few minutes, but I keep their indoor bedding as fresh as possible.

Protection from predators is very important to me.  Holderread, again, writes that the average lifespan of a domestic duck is between 3 and 4 years, and that is primarily because of predators, if I recall correctly.  Domestic ducks can live to be over ten years old if they are well cared for.  Of course, awful unexpected things can happen.  But often those things don't happen.

I also want to add that there are extremely conscientious indoor duck people who work very hard to assure their ducks' health is optimal.  I have no gripe with them.  These ducks most often do get outside time as well.

Im not sure what they need in a run, those numbers were for inside the house.

Mine have a 12'x70' area fenced with a5' high wire fence to range in during the day. If we had more land it would be twice that size. Or if we didn't live in the sticks and if we owned the property, I could just let them decide where they wanted to go on our 4 acres with a pond.

Last edited:
We got to go outside for a little while yesterday, then it started to rain. I'm sure they would have loved to stay out in the rain, but I wasn't all that keen on it ;) I walk across the yard, they follow. They rooted around and dug in the dirt and leaves. Then they slept all evening! I think I wore them out haha When I squat down, open my arms and say "come on babies", they come waddling for me. So adorable! Melts my heart. :love
Sooo cute! I love the variety in their color and markings :)

So cute! They are growing!

Growing like little weeds.... and eating like little piggies....

Sooo cute! I love the variety in their color and markings
smile.png

I think I got lucky with them all looking so different!

I also heard another QUACK last night, but still can't figure out which one said it. They stay so close together, and ya know they can't do it when you're lookin at em!

Hi all I'm new here and have a question about Muscovy Ducks. I live in a subdivision with a pond so we have quite a large population of Muscovy's. A few months ago a duck made a nest in a bush by my front door the eggs hatched and the family eventually moved on. Over the last month I've noticed more eggs at first it was just 2 or 3 then over the course of a few weeks the collection of eggs grew. I never saw the duck until a few days ago. I noticed the nest was covered with down and straw. Now I don't touch the nest it can be easily seen from my walk way and I don't mind the ducks I just don't know if the eggs being laid are actually going to hatch or are the ducks just laying eggs like chickens do. I just don't want rotten eggs by my front door so how long do i need to wait before i csn do anything

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom