The Duck Thread

L Frank and Bean, Elsa and Anna, enjoying their first taste of peas. They love em!. Question though - how much is too much?

Last edited:
What are you using for bedding? And is their water deep enough for them to wash the bills off?

In their "bed box" just using pee pads. But in their main one using towels and pee pads. And yes I think their water is deep enough. Here is a pic if what I'm using. It has to be refilled about every two hours during the day.

Last edited:
I just put mine out a couple of days ago.   They are about 7 weeks old and fully feathered.  They starting getting their feathers a couple of weeks ago.  How cold is it in your area? It's only getting down to the upper 40's here now, so mine are outside with only an enclosed coop to huddle into at night.  They are doing great, though!

Ok thanks :) i decided to put them out, mine are also in an enclosed coop, with food and water, which i will probably keep them in, apart from letting them out during the day for a while with my supervision, and it is about the 40's here to, its begining to get warmer, but still a couple of mornings here with frost, but i wont open up the door, into an enclosed out door area, for about 2 weeks, but i had to get them out of the garage, the smell of poo was stinking it out lol

Last edited:
I could use some help with question about Muscovy Ducks. I have decided on muscovy ducks for a meat duck, as i had the chance to taste it last week end and was impressed. I have been doing some reading on the breed and it seems that it would be a good fit for me. But I can not find any where that tells me about how many eggs I could expect a duck to
Mine were ducklings last summer, but they haven't started to lay yet. So if you want them to lay right away, you could be waiting for awhile. But, if mine start I will let you know.

Ok thanks
smile.png
i decided to put them out, mine are also in an enclosed coop, with food and water, which i will probably keep them in, apart from letting them out during the day for a while with my supervision, and it is about the 40's here to, its begining to get warmer, but still a couple of mornings here with frost, but i wont open up the door, into an enclosed out door area, for about 2 weeks, but i had to get them out of the garage, the smell of poo was stinking it out lol

I hear ya! Mine were in an extra bathroom in the house, and phew...it was stinky! If you are still having frost some mornings, you may need to put a heat lamp out on those nights.

I have read that niacin is important to a ducks health, so would game bird feed be okay for them instead of adding brewer's yeast?
Does it say it's formulated all all birds including water fowl, if not then it may not have enough niacin and adding Brewers yeast or nutritional yeast should be added till 10 weeks old any left over use it your self it's good for all of us.
smile.png

I hear ya!  Mine were in an extra bathroom in the house, and phew...it was stinky!  If you are still having frost some mornings, you may need to put a heat lamp out on those nights.  
Ok thanks :) only 10 days until my first hatch:D and then on the 30th, my 5 geese eggs at hatching, and they on the 2nd of May, I'm going to get some silkie chicks, I think they will be about 2 weeks old the guy has white and black, I'm hoping for a mix, and I would like a white and a black rooster along with about 2 hens (hoping they'll grow upto be this) to have pure breeds, and maybe a few crosses, but the chances of all that are slim, ahaha wishful thinking :D

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom