The Duck Thread

She is a beauty. I am also guessing Silver Appleyard (possibly a mix) but if that is the case she is a seriously scarce bird. As :(of just a few years ago the [COLOR=222222]census of domestic waterfowl in North America listed only 128 breeding  pairs. I can't imagine why so few since they are (both male and female) really beautiful.[/COLOR]

Thanx, she indeed is beautiful. I guess I'm lucky to have her. The male pekin have already started mating her, so I guess I should expect some fertile eggs soon (though I'm unable to tell how old she and the rest may be) which hopfully would be hatched. :). My curiousity now is on the kinds of offspring that'll come up from her.

Last edited:
Thanx, she indeed is beautiful. I guess I'm lucky to have her. The male pekin have already started mating her, so I guess I should expect some fertile eggs soon (though I'm unable to tell how old she abd the rest may be) which hopfully would be hatched.
smile.png
. My curiousity now is on the kinds of offspring that'll come up from her.
That will be determined by genetics and which genes are dominant in each breed. No matter though. With her markings and the pure white Pekins I am sure the babies will be really nice.

I'm having an identity crisis with one of my ducks. I bought five matured ducks few days ago from someone who could not say what they are. Four of them (the white ones) I think are Pekin? However there is one duck I can't really tell the breed. Here are some pictures I took this morning in their new home.
She has the body of a Welsh Harlequin/Mallard, but her head looks like a Saxony to me , with the facial stripes , probably a mix?Whatever she is , she's absolutely beautiful! :love Edit:Just wanted to add after I looked at the pictures more , it honestly looks like someone transplanted the head of a Saxony female onto the body of a Welsh Harlequin female !

Last edited:
I have noticed many more birds of all kinds, visiting my yard this year. I guess in addition to the ample bugs, vegetation and water bowls set out they figure its a safe place. After all there are over a dozen happy duckies that safely graze the area.
I just wish they would stop bringing the ducks offerings.
Yesterday I found a 1/2 eaten piece of pizza. Today I found Chicken nuggets. Whole complete chicken nuggets.

If they want to pay homage I wish they would bring wrapped steaks to the front door instead. I could use those & My ducks don't get junk food
lau.gif

She has the body of a Welsh Harlequin/Mallard, but her head looks like a Saxony to me , with the facial stripes , probably a mix?Whatever she is , she's absolutely beautiful! :love

Edit:Just wanted to add after I looked at the pictures more , it honestly looks like someone transplanted the head of a Saxony female onto the body of a Welsh Harlequin female !

Thank you, she's beautiful. I suspect her parents were one of a kind. I look forward to her ducklings.

I'm having an identity crisis with one of my ducks. I bought five matured ducks few days ago from someone who could not say what they are. Four of them (the white ones) I think are Pekin? However there is one duck I can't really tell the breed. Here are some pictures I took this morning in their new home.

Other than obviously being cute, the one that looks like a Saxony is gorgeous. Love the pekins. Big soft snuggly birds with webbed feet.

Back
Top Bottom