The Duck Thread

I had a jug with a hole just big enough to stick there head in, somehow my duck managed to get her whole body inside, I will never understand how, upside down, drowning and of course since I don't know how she got in, there was no way to get out. My other duck yelled for me until I came. I was terrified. I went back to the little waterer for them to get a drink and I have a huge dog dish in their pen that they dunk their heads in and stand in, they don't poo in it, surprisingly. A lot safer and they love it!

My ducklings are out in the chicken coop as the older one still thinks the chicks are her babies, we put a 5 gal bucket in there with nipples and it's closed with a lid on top . The ducklings have a pie pan they get into while in the coop or run and we take them out to the pond and let them swim they haven't been trying to get into things they shouldn't, knock on wood. But they keep trying to get the chicks to go swimming so have to watch that. the thing we have to watch is my friends property she moved some trees and didn't fill in the holes, so that is this weeks project so they don't fall into those.

I had a jug with a hole just big enough to stick there head in, somehow my duck managed to get her whole body inside, I will never understand how, upside down, drowning and of course since I don't know how she got in, there was no way to get out. My other duck yelled for me until I came. I was terrified. I went back to the little waterer for them to get a drink and I have a huge dog dish in their pen that they dunk their heads in and stand in, they don't poo in it, surprisingly. A lot safer and they love it!
Is the duckling that got stuck in the jug okay?

Is the duckling that got stuck in the jug okay?
yea I got her out and the other one was freaking out so bad. I held them for hours. Charlie is finE, but gets scared easy. And she doesn't like deep water, she won't swim. She stands in water all the time but that's as far as it goes... My poor baby

some ducks raised in a mixed flock do that or it they they are overly motherly, our blue Swedish would not get wet other than in the pie pan, but when we got the mallard she actually decided to start swimming, first in the pasture that was being irrigated then in the pond and she is still nervous about it but more worried about the baby mallard out there by himself

yea I got her out and the other one was freaking out so bad. I held them for hours. Charlie is finE, but gets scared easy. And she doesn't like deep water, she won't swim. She stands in water all the time but that's as far as it goes... My poor baby
Aaaaw. Little sweetie. I am glad she is ok. Bless her.

some ducks raised in a mixed flock do that or it they they are overly motherly, our blue Swedish would not get wet other than in the pie pan, but when we got the mallard she actually decided to start swimming, first in the pasture that was being irrigated then in the pond and she is still nervous about it but more worried about the baby mallard out there by himself
Oh, she is so sweet worrying about him. Is he ok?

yep they are best of buddies now especially when it comes to swimming time and she leads him back to the baby chicks, has done wonders to break the superglue bond with the chicks she had, was just a rough start but thankfully have 2 pullets that learned being mom from the duck and they took care of the little one until she accepted him, each time they go out for swim time it seems to get better for her, she used to stress because the little chicks were so frantically calling her, now she is really relaxed going and doing duck things as 2 of the 10 week old chicks are having fun playing momma so the littler ones don't get so frantic.

yep they are best of buddies now especially when it comes to swimming time and she leads him back to the baby chicks, has done wonders to break the superglue bond with the chicks she had, was just a rough start but thankfully have 2 pullets that learned being mom from the duck and they took care of the little one until she accepted him, each time they go out for swim time it seems to get better for her, she used to stress because the little chicks were so frantically calling her, now she is really relaxed going and doing duck things as 2 of the 10 week old chicks are having fun playing momma so the littler ones don't get so frantic.
I think that is so neat how two different species of bird bond and learn from each other.

Closest I could get yesterday. Duckling in her shadow on the left. I can see 4 broken shells around her this morning. Hurray.

Back
Top Bottom