The Duck Thread

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ZakoHero, Jan 17, 2013.

1. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop

Lol the inground one is easier to get into! I thought about digging mine down into the ground, but figured it would be more difficult to empty and refill. Probably will do it anyway, and figure something out.

2. LadyIsadora

LadyIsadora Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2015
    Utah
    I agree PEAS are the cement in the bonds of friendship with ducks, but dont forget to use audio cues when giving them the peas if you want to make it a "come here" thing. I can hold snails, worms, meal worms (really anything) in my hand and the ducks will just look at me suspiciously untill I say "bugs babies, I got your bugs" then I am tackled and nibbled to within an inch of my life ;-)
    use audio and visual cues to get them to preform the same action repetitively.

My ducks know the words, " Peas, bugs, garden, pen, yum-yums" and about 10 more for sure. Repetitiveness is the key!
    really like any animal.
    Good luck.

1 person likes this.
  3. Chrysolinsbirds

Chrysolinsbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2013
    Merced county, CA

I usually just start quacking on my way out and they meet me like halfway whichever group is free ranging that day =)

4. Lynn Manes

Lynn Manes Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2015
    California
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    I just thought all baby ducks were fuzzy yellow little ones and they will grow into their adult colors.As you see by the pix, moms and dad (we only have 3 adult ducks) are normal mallard colors.

Last edited: May 13, 2015
  5. Lynn Manes

Lynn Manes Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2015
    California
    [​IMG]
    Here's the pic of my 2 mamas with the babies. See normal adult mallard female colors. This is our first duck hatch. I do have a question. Seems the girls are not interested in sitting on the rest of the eggs since these 2 ducklings are now in the world. They just want to protect them and keep kicking eggs out. What if we pick up the remaining eggs, candle them and put them in the incubator? Do you think we'd have any luck getting them to hatch?

6. Reese7383

Reese7383 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2015
    [​IMG]
    Morning ma... wake up I want to go see my friends.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. duckies1230

duckies1230 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    Quick question... Its 50 degrees right now and only going up to the low 60s at the most today. When do ducks produce their own oil? They are about a month and a half old, have half adult feathers and still some baby yellow fur. Is it ok to let them swim or is it too cold? I leave for work at ten and won't be home till 6:30. So i need to know asap so I can get them set up before I get ready. Thanks!

8. Kaessa

Kaessa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2015
    Fruita, CO

Those are actually Welsh Harlequins, it looks like you have a silver drake and silver and gold hens (the one with bronze speculum is a gold). They are very pretty! Welsh Harlequin are my favorite.

9. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    That is a male welsh Harlequin and your girls are also welsh harlequin. Kaessa said it looks like you have a gold phase and silver phase hens. They are all very pretty but they are not mallards at all.

1 person likes this.
  10. Lizzy456

Lizzy456 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2015
    The ducklings have arrived!The post office called at 6:10 this morning and said:Your chicks or ducklings or whatever they are are here [​IMG]
    I thought they'd be tired out since they just traveled across the country , but they were up , jumping around and OUT of the box...they weren't drinking even though I dipped their bills in the water , so I put some lettuce in and it turned into a free-for-all!I'll try to get some pics up later but my camera isn't cooperating...they are so adorable!
    All six are Khaki Campbells , healthy , happy and currently sleeping like babies[​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by