The Duck Thread

My incubator is gonna be here today!!! My incubator is gonna be here today!!! Yaaaaaaa!!!!! C'mon UPS man!

Yeah!

Peep did well! My poor husband freaked out. Came home one day when I was at work, and mom and the babies were gone! Now picture: 6'8" 360lb hairy truck driver calling me crying,he can't find the babies.... (She nested in the woods) bahaha! Peep had led them to the pond! By the time I got home, 3 hours later, an entire pen had been built, tool shed emptied, and hay laid down. He was at ponds edge, cup of duck food in hand begging her to come back! Gotta love him!

Now that is an interesting mental image! He sounds like a real keeper!
And it looks like he did good with the pen and luring them back in too! Can't beat that!

@Debs Flock glad to hear Diva is better!

my ducks are strange prefer being with the chickens or the calves over going to the pond.

So question have had this blue Swedish duckling since beginning of April , we are wondering if this one ended up being a drake can anyone tell by the tail feather?

taken yesterday^

taken 2 weeks ago

when we brought it home April 8th

my ducks are strange prefer being with the chickens or the calves over going to the pond.

So question have had this blue Swedish duckling since beginning of April , we are wondering if this one ended up being a drake can anyone tell by the tail feather?

taken yesterday^

taken 2 weeks ago

when we brought it home April 8th

I can't tell much from your pictures, sorry. But this link may help you - http://www.majesticwaterfowl.org/artquacks.htm

Is it typical for females to miss the services of a drake? We had four seven month old ducks. One drake and three females. He used to have his fun with all of them. Recently I added six younger ducks (five ducks and one drake) to the flock. The older drake got so aggressively chasing the other the younger group that I sadly had to give him and his closest girlfriend to our vet who had a very lonely Muscovy.

After about ten days the two older ducks have finally become one flock with the younger group.

Is it typical for them to miss drake service? I keep finding the two older gals head bobbing and rubbing necks with each other and the Pekin wanting to "make out" with her older friend or any of the younger group.

I am also wondering if Pekins tend to do more "head bobbing" than other breeds. The two Pekins seem to head bob a lot more than the others.

Thanks

Last edited:
Yeah!
Now that is an interesting mental image! He sounds like a real keeper!
And it looks like he did good with the pen and luring them back in too! Can't beat that!

@Debs Flock glad to hear Diva is better!
Sounds like a great guy who really cares about you and the feathered family. A good worker, handyman and quite thorough. I like that.

Sounds like a great guy who really cares about you and the feathered family.   A good worker, handyman and quite thorough.   I like that.
Yea, heck of a guy! Se days I'm not sure if I deserve the life he's given me, but, he makes me always keep trying! We're a good balance for each other! And he's a big softy!!!! He asked if a duckling imprinted on him, if he could bring it with him on the road...?!?!

Yea, heck of a guy! Se days I'm not sure if I deserve the life he's given me, but, he makes me always keep trying! We're a good balance for each other! And he's a big softy!!!! He asked if a duckling imprinted on him, if he could bring it with him on the road...?!?!
Mine isn't too bad either. We've been together for almost 42 years so that might say something. He enjoys the ducks but sometimes I think he wishes my neighbor had never got me hooked on them. He did fret over them when the two groups wouldn't flock up and he has named a few of them.
That is SO funny about him taking one of the ducklings on the road with him. Maybe he should take two. If he ever does, please send a photo.

Mine isn't too bad either.   We've been together for almost 42 years so that might say something.    He enjoys the ducks but sometimes I think he wishes my neighbor had never got me hooked on them.    He did fret over them when the two groups wouldn't flock up and he has named a few of them. 
That is SO funny about him taking one of the ducklings on the road with him.   Maybe he should take two.   If he ever does, please send a photo.
I'm hoping for 42 years someday... Life is so unpredictable that I'm always grateful for today. Sometimes I think Todd wished Peep hadn't been left here, but he's the first one to count ducks every morning on the weekends! If he takes a duck on the road, I'm posting pictures EVERYWHERE! He's already talking diapers and small portable pools....

It looks like an attribute of Muscovy. One of my male actually doesn't like water at all. He enters the bath and in less than a minute he's out, and like you said when it comes to rain it's another issue.
Mine like water ok. They stand in the rain and don't want to go in, even though they are dripping wet. So, I keep the heat lamp in the brooder house on when we are getting the weather we are now; highs in the 60's and rain. South Dakota has crazy weather this year. Went from too dry to almost too much in a few weeks.

Of our 8 ducks there is 1 peking that refuses to get in the pool :( S/he will stand outside while the other 7 are playing. I feel so bad. When they had a little kiddie pool s/he had no problems now with the bigger pool it will duck its head over the side but thats it. Anyone know why?

Back
Top Bottom