The Duck Thread

Im really sorry I'm new but what's the little grey looking one/ones??? I'm looking to get a few new babies to ad and I wanted a little assortment in my itty bitty flock
1f60b.png
these ducks and chickens together are so cute. I wanna scoop all of them up and give a giant hug.. I LOVE BIRDS.

The only grey chick I have seen is this one, was told she was a blue swedish and she is the same age as the chicks and has played momma to them since brooder still trying to break her from the chicks though which is quite hard, maybe when they start laying and raising their town she will finally break it, we got a second duckling trying to get her away from the chickens and didn't work so well she wanted to beat up the little mallard so the pullets raised and protected him for a bit, she finally decided he was ok as was only one that would go swimming with her.

Half is a bit much in my opinion, but I have broody chickens that I could split the eggs between if she doesn't want t sit n them too.

Last edited:
Consider if you have 20 eggs to give her to hatch and say 18 make it and of those 18 she wants to keep 9. That's more than some peoples whole flocks. But its really up to you on how far down this fowl rabbit hole you plan to go. If you want a lot of birds than I would find a better deal, if you only want a few than it might be right up your alley. If it was me I'd keep em all. Lol. Than again I started with 3 chicks and am now over 50 birds.

Just came home to this little guy

Wood duck, rescue from the city, poor little guy was just running around the street. MIL got it from her supervisor the other morning thinking of us and the Mrs. Went to visit yesterday and can back today with it. Really friendly and super cute but sooo tiny.

Consider if you have 20 eggs to give her to hatch and say 18 make it and of those 18 she wants to keep 9. That's more than some peoples whole flocks. But its really up to you on how far down this fowl rabbit hole you plan to go. If you want a lot of birds than I would find a better deal, if you only want a few than it might be right up your alley. If it was me I'd keep em all. Lol. Than again I started with 3 chicks and am now over 50 birds.

Wood duck, rescue from the city, poor little guy was just running around the street. MIL got it from her supervisor the other morning thinking of us and the Mrs. Went to visit yesterday and can back today with it. Really friendly and super cute but sooo tiny.
Hows the lil wood duck doing? from all I've read they are very hard to get started eating. mainly why we always suggest a water fowl rehabber. Sure is a cutie.

Sweet cute adorable precious.

Looking great. A rehabber was my first thought but any responsibly involved party just wanted to let things run their course. From what I understand the first day it didn't eat, kinda hard when your only a few days old and no one is there to show you whats OK. But once he figured out what a piece of food was, all about it. Spent some time last night whistling back and forth. I warned the Mrs. We might have a new house duck. ;) . Hate to have to work this early, its talking to me right now lol. Plenty of family here today for company, cant wait to get back this afternoon.

Back
Top Bottom