The Duck Thread

Consider if you have 20 eggs to give her to hatch and say 18 make it and of those 18 she wants to keep 9. That's more than some peoples whole flocks. But its really up to you on how far down this fowl rabbit hole you plan to go. If you want a lot of birds than I would find a better deal, if you only want a few than it might be right up your alley. If it was me I'd keep em all. Lol. Than again I started with 3 chicks and am now over 50 birds.

Just came home to this little guy

Wood duck, rescue from the city, poor little guy was just running around the street. MIL got it from her supervisor the other morning thinking of us and the Mrs. Went to visit yesterday and can back today with it. Really friendly and super cute but sooo tiny.
I would love to keep them all!
1f60d.png
now i know it's getting serious, had a dream about my ducks and the eggs.... A good dream there were like hundreds of eggs in the nest
1f602.png

Ve
Consider if you have 20 eggs to give her to hatch and say 18 make it and of those 18 she wants to keep 9. That's more than some peoples whole flocks. But its really up to you on how far down this fowl rabbit hole you plan to go. If you want a lot of birds than I would find a better deal, if you only want a few than it might be right up your alley. If it was me I'd keep em all. Lol. Than again I started with 3 chicks and am now over 50 birds.

Just came home to this little guy

Wood duck, rescue from the city, poor little guy was just running around the street. MIL got it from her supervisor the other morning thinking of us and the Mrs. Went to visit yesterday and can back today with it. Really friendly and super cute but sooo tiny.
. Very lucky! I've always wished I had the opportunity to raise a wood duck without directly separating it from its mother! I hope you get it to eat and drink alright. Best of luck to you!

Came home to find a blown circuit breaker in the brooder room... So far everything is ok. Any chance my eggs survive? Incubator reading was at 82° I still see movement in all the eggs, and obviously flipped the switch on. But will I loose them anyway?

Looking great. A rehabber was my first thought but any responsibly involved party just wanted to let things run their course. From what I understand the first day it didn't eat, kinda hard when your only a few days old and no one is there to show you whats OK. But once he figured out what a piece of food was, all about it. Spent some time last night whistling back and forth. I warned the Mrs. We might have a new house duck. ;) . Hate to have to work this early, its talking to me right now lol. Plenty of family here today for company, cant wait to get back this afternoon.

Yay! I'm glad he's eating okay. I hope he does alright. Poor baby.

Came home to find a blown circuit breaker in the brooder room... So far everything is ok. Any chance my eggs survive? Incubator reading was at 82° I still see movement in all the eggs, and obviously flipped the switch on. But will I loose them anyway?

If they are still wiggling, I'd think they're okay. I have read that duck eggs are supposed to be a little more forgiving than chicken eggs. Any idea how long the power was out for?

Yay! I'm glad he's eating okay. I hope he does alright. Poor baby.
If they are still wiggling, I'd think they're okay. I have read that duck eggs are supposed to be a little more forgiving than chicken eggs. Any idea how long the power was out for?
Tops, 3 hours...

Last edited:
Yay, another post from me!!! So, duck in the woods on a nest... Hatch due next week ish. Can't move her. Incubator full. Many water fowl on the property. Do I fence her in, make a short pen so she can't lead the babies to water.... After they hatch I have a duck barn to keep momma and babies safe, but for now to hatch... What's a good idea..... Anyone?

Back
Top Bottom