The Duck Thread

Hay bedding will sprout hay in the spring. If you're not composting or using the duck sweepings in your garden, hay is great and the ducks love the seed they find. If you are, expect to find hay growing in your garden beds.

Where do you get the jumbo egg cartons?
Go to: eggcartons.com
order # Blank Paper Egg Carton, Jumbo/Super Jumbo EGPJSJBL
$66.00/100 cartons, made of recycled paper
I use these which are in stock now. For selling eggs, this is so much easier to put my own name and label on. They have other quantities @ other prices.

Last edited:
Hi, Betsy & Kada - I am sorry to have implied that ducks are huggy critters. If you raise them from hatchlings they can imprint upon humans and see you as their mama. Otherwise, ducks feel threatened by any creature looming over them and will run (fly) away. They are following their instincts as prey animals to survive. In time, they will come to trust you. Follow a routine, do not make any sudden moves and talk sweetly to them. I have about 30% of my flock eating treats out of my hand. One of them, I raised from a duckling and the others learned from him. Honestly, I can't tell if they like me or it's just the treats. :D The duck that I hugged had to be picked up for a health check. She ran from me quacking up a storm and had to be cornered. Once I had her tucked under my arm, she calmed down and responded very sweetly to having her neck petted.

barnie.gif
well my ducks r about 20 to 16 weeks old. 15 of them. we recently have have had one disappear and today found a runner with its head ripped off. its body was inside the run and the head was found just out side the fence.i am not sure what did it but my neighbor has 17 cats, and we have all kinds of predators. so time to get out the trail cam. will let u know how things turn out.

One duckling has hatched already. are there many problems with early hatched ducklings?
one of my cayuga cross eggs hatched a day and a half befor the rest he is now one week old and doing fine i am fairly sure it's a he because he is the biggest followed by two slightly smaller ones and all seven are now doing just fine

barnie.gif
well my ducks r about 20 to 16 weeks old. 15 of them. we recently have have had one disappear and today found a runner with its head ripped off. its body was inside the run and the head was found just out side the fence.i am not sure what did it but my neighbor has 17 cats, and we have all kinds of predators. so time to get out the trail cam. will let u know how things turn out.
Hardware wire about 2-3' up around bottom of your run will keep coons and other preds from reaching in and grabbing ducks and ripping off their heads. Game camera will let you see what's doing it but why wait fix the problem. I doubt a cat would do this sounds more like a coon. So sorry for your loss.

thank u miss Lydia, I have finally gotten the wire and my grandsons put it in the ground and all around. thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom