The Duck Thread

One of mine is doing the same thing all I can think of is its that time of year for the ducks and he doesn't want anything around his girls my poor roster runs and hides from my duck I try and keep them apart for right now

So today all of a sudden my ducklings just randomly started darted really fast around they're cage, is that normal?

Yes, that is normal. It's really funny to watch once they are outside of the brooder and have more room. Ours dart and run and then crouch down as if they just eluded a monster from the sky, lol.

So how did the processing day go? Did you use wax? Was it helpful?
We are planning on processing some ducks later this year so I would love to hear about your experience.

YES, big difference!!!
We had a bit of a learning curve, but it went much faster than plucking individually. The feathers just come right out, quills and all, no pulling.
Definitely do it outside, we made a bit of a mess.
And it takes forever to heat the wax through (my husband had plucked half of a duck by hand while waiting on wax).
Buy a cheap pot (got one from Walmart for like $12) instead of using your good stock pot because you will never be able to get all the wax out.
A couple mistakes we made-- while plucking his first duck & seeing how easily mine was coming off with the wax DH decided to dunk his half plucked bird & then all the skin that was plucked is totally covered in wax which didn't come off. The second was on my first bird he took the wing off at the shoulder instead of the elbow so when you dunk it in the wax it went in the chest cavity I think. It shouldn't be a big deal as I usually portion off the bone, but it wasn't ideal.
The ones I had seen online were for ducks that had been shot (from hunting) so they had the head to hold to dunk them in. My husband decapitates them as he feels it's the quickest/least pain for the birds, but it made it a little trickier . I didn't want to touch the top so I tried to dunk by holding the feet, but then I couldn't get the hind portion of the duck in far enough.

So if you do it this way (which DH said he would never go back to the other way), don't use your good pot, do it outside (a grill with a burner or a camp stove will keep wax hot), cut the wings from the elbow & take off the feet then hold from the neck to dunk it in the wax would be my suggestions. I filled the stock pot less than half way with water, then put in a pound of paraffin (gulf wax from canning section of grocery store, 1lb box has 4 sponge size chunks of it). We did 6 & it was enough, but if we were doing more I probably would have had to do another batch of wax.
Hopefully this helps!

PS- This is the article I read online which first gave me the idea to use wax. There are some videos on youtube as well.
http://honest-food.net/2011/10/29/on-plucking-birds/

YES, big difference!!!
We had a bit of a learning curve, but it went much faster than plucking individually. The feathers just come right out, quills and all, no pulling.
Definitely do it outside, we made a bit of a mess.
And it takes forever to heat the wax through (my husband had plucked half of a duck by hand while waiting on wax).
Buy a cheap pot (got one from Walmart for like $12) instead of using your good stock pot because you will never be able to get all the wax out.
A couple mistakes we made-- while plucking his first duck & seeing how easily mine was coming off with the wax DH decided to dunk his half plucked bird & then all the skin that was plucked is totally covered in wax which didn't come off. The second was on my first bird he took the wing off at the shoulder instead of the elbow so when you dunk it in the wax it went in the chest cavity I think. It shouldn't be a big deal as I usually portion off the bone, but it wasn't ideal.
The ones I had seen online were for ducks that had been shot (from hunting) so they had the head to hold to dunk them in. My husband decapitates them as he feels it's the quickest/least pain for the birds, but it made it a little trickier . I didn't want to touch the top so I tried to dunk by holding the feet, but then I couldn't get the hind portion of the duck in far enough.

So if you do it this way (which DH said he would never go back to the other way), don't use your good pot, do it outside (a grill with a burner or a camp stove will keep wax hot), cut the wings from the elbow & take off the feet then hold from the neck to dunk it in the wax would be my suggestions. I filled the stock pot less than half way with water, then put in a pound of paraffin (gulf wax from canning section of grocery store, 1lb box has 4 sponge size chunks of it). We did 6 & it was enough, but if we were doing more I probably would have had to do another batch of wax.
Hopefully this helps!

PS- This is the article I read online which first gave me the idea to use wax. There are some videos on youtube as well.
http://honest-food.net/2011/10/29/on-plucking-birds/

Thanks for sharing the tips and the link to the article. I can't wait to try this and my chef (hubby) can't wait to try some recipes. Enjoy your meat.

My male wood duck has been chasing my runners all around the pen. Is that because of mating season or has he just all of the sudden gotten really mean?

Back
Top Bottom