The Duck Thread

Could anyone tell me what kind of duck this? Suppose to be a indian runner but I'm thinking maybe not?

he looks like a snowy mallard, beautiful!!

Is it possible for a hawk to get a large duck. I had two go missing Subday still no sign of them. Not a missing feather or anything. I also lost a bantam roo a week or so ago and a Welsumer roo with a bad leg was taken Friday. There were a few feathers from that one. I heard a hawk screeching, but doubt a red tailed could get the big drake. Everyone is on lockdown until I solve the mystery.

Last edited:
Is it possible for a hawk to get a large duck. I had two go missing Subday still no sign of them. Not a missing feather or anything. I also lost a bantam roo a week or so ago and a Welsumer roo with a bad leg was taken Friday. There were a few feathers from that one. I heard a hawk screeching, but doubt a red tailed could get the big drake. Everyone is on lockdown until I solve the mystery.
A red shouldered hawk was not able to carry off a pekin duck of mine. But it managed to inflict some damage with those talons. I ultimately lost the duck, despite giving her antibiotics, she developed a raging infection and I put her down.

Depending on how big your birds are, most hawks could not carry off a duck. They might snack on it where they took it down, though. A higher probability is a fox. They can do a smash and grab quite quickly, and can carry off poultry. They're fast and smart.

I'd bet on fox, especially if your having repeat attacks. I can't see a little red tail hawk getting a duck and carrying it away.
A fox will keep coming back until it has no more to come back for or feels threatened. Could you put somthing around the coop so if it is a fox you could see tracks? Make it muddy or maybe put flour down on the ground. Maybe a coyote? Or stray dog.... A weasel is strong could drag a body away, but they get all wound up and kill everything in a night ( apparently) and leave the kills behind... Maybe a Martin or fisher depending on where you live... Try to find some tracks. Good luck sorry for your losses.

I'm in the south. The hawks are big. Everyone gets locked up at night. All the loses are coming from free range flocks. The coops haven't been touched. I'm thinking they are being hit at the back near creek. Fox usually go for the cats and kittens first. Things will be locked and loaded until the mystery is solved.

My KC 7 month old is not doing to well. She has been a great egg layer every day. Well yesterday she was out in the yard acting funny/ strange she would not come when I called her and she was breathing heavy. So I took her in the house put her in the tub for a few hours and she seemed to be fine. Early this morning I went out to the coop, her head was face down with her bottom and legs in the air! I thought she was dead! when I picked her up she seemed very weak would not walk and seemed to be in pain! I noticed she had an egg in her " egg bound"? So I put her in warm water and within a few minutes out came the egg! Now she is still very weak not acting her self, not eating a lot but drinking I have her in the house away from my other duck. Any advice on what's going on with her???

Back
Top Bottom