The Duck Thread

If you can take a look at Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks, he calls it pretty well on the usual age that the different sizes of breeds lay. And with my runners, they started acting out mating behaviors about four weeks before the first egg was laid. So that was a clue for us. I started setting out free choice oyster shell when they started playing hop on top, as Holderread (Storey's Guide) says to give them extra calcium a month before they start to lay.

My Rouen ducks could get off the ground abut three feet and maintain flight for several yards, if something was chasing them. My pekins really couldn't fly at all—too heavy. One did manage to fly over my tiny pomeranian when she got in the way! Most domestic ducks have very limited flying capacities.

With my ducks, the age at which they started laying varied, even in the same species. The Pekins last year started before 20 weeks and were very prolific. This year, the Pekin never did lay before I got rid of her at 23 weeks. The Rouen's did not lay until 24 weeks or later.

My [COLOR=545454]Rouen ducks could get off the ground abut three feet and maintain flight for several yards, if something was chasing them.  My pekins really couldn't fly at all—too heavy.  One did manage to fly over my tiny pomeranian when she got in the way!  Most domestic ducks have very limited flying capacities.  [/COLOR]

[COLOR=545454]With my ducks, the age at which they started laying varied, even in the same species.  The Pekins last year started before 20 weeks and were very prolific.  This year, the Pekin never did lay before I got rid of her at 23 weeks.  The Rouen's did not lay until 24 weeks or later.[/COLOR]

Hmmm.. I guess I'll start watching around 20weeeks

Hey I'm post about black Swedish here because I'm hoping I'll get a faster response. When do they start laying eggs? (They are 1month and 1week some odd days) I need to know so I can start leading to their nesting boxes. Also, do Black Swedish fly? It may be a dumb question but I was told that certain duck/chicken breeds cannot fly because it was breeder out of them, they're too heavy
Think of them like a brick!! They can fly just as if you were to throw a brick in the air lol. Best way to discrete it. They mature at about 4 months but keep in mind ducks are usually seasonal layers.

Think of them like a brick!! They can fly just as if you were to throw a brick in the air lol. Best way to discrete it. They mature at about 4 months but keep in mind ducks are usually seasonal layers.

Seasonal how? When should I be looking?
Haha that makes sense know, they don't seem to make it off the ground

Meaning most of the time they take a brake from laying for a few months in the winter. Especially if u live where it's cold.

Oh well I know that, okay just didn't know if it was only a certain time they would start no matter the age
Mine started laying at about 5 months and could fly enough to fly over the chickens to get to the food first when I opened the barn door, but sadly not enough to get away from a fox.

Seasonal, ducks only lay certain time of the year, they can't lay all year around, usually it's Fall and Spring, I'm in Ohio so it maybe slightly different in warmer climates.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom