The Duck Thread

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ZakoHero, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    If you can take a look at Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks, he calls it pretty well on the usual age that the different sizes of breeds lay. And with my runners, they started acting out mating behaviors about four weeks before the first egg was laid. So that was a clue for us. I started setting out free choice oyster shell when they started playing hop on top, as Holderread (Storey's Guide) says to give them extra calcium a month before they start to lay.

2. Onlyducks

Onlyducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2014
    My Rouen ducks could get off the ground abut three feet and maintain flight for several yards, if something was chasing them. My pekins really couldn't fly at all—too heavy. One did manage to fly over my tiny pomeranian when she got in the way! Most domestic ducks have very limited flying capacities.

With my ducks, the age at which they started laying varied, even in the same species. The Pekins last year started before 20 weeks and were very prolific. This year, the Pekin never did lay before I got rid of her at 23 weeks. The Rouen's did not lay until 24 weeks or later.

3. LittleBlu

LittleBlu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2014
    Oakhurst, Ca

Hmmm.. I guess I'll start watching around 20weeeks

4. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Think of them like a brick!! They can fly just as if you were to throw a brick in the air lol. Best way to discrete it. They mature at about 4 months but keep in mind ducks are usually seasonal layers.

5. LittleBlu

Jul 9, 2014
    Oakhurst, Ca

Seasonal how? When should I be looking?
    Haha that makes sense know, they don't seem to make it off the ground

6. Alice28

Alice28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2014
    Meaning most of the time they take a brake from laying for a few months in the winter. Especially if u live where it's cold.

7. LittleBlu

Jul 9, 2014
    Oakhurst, Ca

Oh well I know that, okay just didn't know if it was only a certain time they would start no matter the age

8. Alice28

Alice28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2014
    Around four months they should start laying or getting ready to start laying. Then yummy duck eggs.

9. K Epp

K Epp Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2012
    North Georgia
    Mine started laying at about 5 months and could fly enough to fly over the chickens to get to the food first when I opened the barn door, but sadly not enough to get away from a fox.

10. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Seasonal, ducks only lay certain time of the year, they can't lay all year around, usually it's Fall and Spring, I'm in Ohio so it maybe slightly different in warmer climates.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by