The Duck Thread

See if it looks like this - I will attach a video in just a few minutes to this message.

Especially starting around 42 seconds in

0.jpg
no but they are sleepy like in the video they'll just heighten their necks looking down and jerk their necks once to the left and once to the right (maybe to the right then to the left) then go back to being sleepy and about 1 minute later they'll do it again

I don't know about the niacin or brewers yeast and their not choking because they've been doing it for about 30 mins and they don't make noise when doing that and they don't seem to be in pain either

I was just trying to think of a reason all of them would be doing it, so my thoughts went to are they sick? Or maybe a niacin deficiency affecting there muscles. They need niacin in there water or brewers yeast in there food if they aren't getting any, but from my understanding a niacin deficiency causes weak muscles. Are they stumbling?

What is the temperature in the brooder?
I don't have a brooder I keep them in a laundry basket with a t-shirt on top of a heating pad and the heating pad is on the lowest setting its been like this for 2-ish week (most of the babys are 2 weeks old) one just randomly started doing that neck/head jerking

I think you may need to change your heating method - they may be old enough now to be too warm with the heating pad.

I would get that out of there, and - let's see…. how warm is your house or apartment? I think at two weeks, their temperature needs to be between 75F and 80F, so they may be too warm.

And do you keep food and water with them? They need food with water 24/7, till they are about 8 weeks old. They are getting pretty big, now, at two weeks. What breed are they, do you know?

Last edited:
I think you may need to change your heating method - they may be old enough now to be too warm with the heating pad.

I would get that out of there, and - let's see…. how warm is your house or apartment?
um I don't know but its warm id say somewhere around 60-70ish I could be way off and I just checked on them their still doing it but the first one that started doing the neck/head jerk is jerking its head all the way to the side and to the other side so it looks like its getting worse omg what do I do?

For tonight get the heating pad out of there.

Do they have water and food all the time?

I would get the heating pad out, put a few old towels in the bottom, there are 8 of them, they can cuddle up together. I think they will need more space as soon as possible, also.

You can get brewer's yeast and add that to their food daily, so if it is a niacin problem that should resolve within a few days.

Last edited:
For tonight get the heating pad out of there.

Do they have water and food all the time?
no I usually wait till their cheeping so I know their hungry and I let them eat for about 10 mins cause that's when they stop eating and wanna go back in the basket

Back
Top Bottom